Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, my name is Meagan and I am Canadian. I live in Winnipeg but have been to Toronto. It is VERY expensive to live in or around Toronto. It is a huge city, it is very fast pace and the opposite of relaxing. You could have a stoke just trying to get on the freeway. I know you say you want to experience the seasons but a Toronto winter is long and very harsh. Gas is expensive and driving is stressful. If you take the bus remember that you will be out waiting for the bus outside in at least -20 degree weather 5-6 months out of the year. During winter the world is all grey or white, no color. It can be very hard on a person. I love Canada and there are many great things about it but if you are coming from a warm climate it can be more of a shock than you can imagine. I think you should do your research and make own decision but I really think Australia would be less of a shock to your system. But that is only one opinion. Meagan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks jb12. I am guessing australia is the best option for me. I feel it in my guts bt i dont want to make a mistake. Thanks for your advice..
At meagan. Thanks for the advice too. Are you in australia now? Can u tell me the difference between living expenses and salaries. Thanks.
Hi, well I guess the first thing is no we are not in Australia yet but I have done tons of research and my little sister attended high school in Perth so my family knows quite a bit. We are planning on moving to Brisbane because that is where the company we want to work for is, and because the cost of living is much lower than some of the other big cities we have looked at. What I can tell you is a house in Brisbane will be about $100 000 more for the same kind of house we live in in Winnipeg, but Winnipeg housing is a fair bit cheaper than alot of the other big cities in Canada. The most expensive places to live in Canada are all of BC, especially Vancouver, Calgary & Edmonton which are in Alberta, and Toronto which is scary expensive! When we move to Brisbane the cost of living will definitely be higher than Winnipeg but I don't think it will be to bad. The thing is my husband will be making more than twice the salary that he does here, but that is not the case with all professions my husband is a geo tech and environmental Driller and Australia has a great need for that right now so we are lucky. You have to remember that yes Canada is a very beautiful country but all that beauty is not right on your door step, we are a huge country and you have to travel a good distance for the kind of natural beauty you are talking about. Especially if you are in one of the big cities. I love my country but winter is hard long and sometimes depressing depending on what you like to do and if you can handle the cold for long periods of time. I can not do it anymore. I hope that helps, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Meagan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.