Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellow Expats,

I would like some advice from the expat community to resolve my conundrum. I moved to the UK after living in US (originally from India) as I always wanted to live in London for its sheer vibe. However, the slow IT market and the gloomy economy has pegged me back and its getting tougher to find a job. In the meanwhile, I also started exploring the Australian market and a Melbourne based employer has shown interest in sponsoring my 457 visa for a decent 6 figure salary. Now, here are my questions

1) Should I move forward with the Melbourne position? How is Melbourne compared to London and what should be a good salary (I am an SAP Consultant)

2) As I understand, the visa processing may take 4-6 weeks, what if I get a job in London. Should i still go ahead with my Australian employer or can I decline midway through the visa process or even after visa approval?

Its a tricky situation which is why I need different perspectives

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hi Fellow Expats,

I would like some advice from the expat community to resolve my conundrum. I moved to the UK after living in US (originally from India) as I always wanted to live in London for its sheer vibe. However, the slow IT market and the gloomy economy has pegged me back and its getting tougher to find a job. In the meanwhile, I also started exploring the Australian market and a Melbourne based employer has shown interest in sponsoring my 457 visa for a decent 6 figure salary. Now, here are my questions

1) Should I move forward with the Melbourne position? How is Melbourne compared to London and what should be a good salary (I am an SAP Consultant)

2) As I understand, the visa processing may take 4-6 weeks, what if I get a job in London. Should i still go ahead with my Australian employer or can I decline midway through the visa process or even after visa approval?

Its a tricky situation which is why I need different perspectives
I think you should go ahead, Australia is one of the only markets that is actually growing (slow but steady) . I think for the future, i'm sure you know very well the economic condition of the United states & EU , UK where those nations over borrowed, invested too much in unnecessary global warfare and one way or the other headed for collapse no matter how many "measures" or bailouts they throw at the problem.

My personal opinion that you should go ahead with it, Melbourne is a great city, and will soon become one of the most multicultural cities in the world, there is a huge immigrant community from every corner of the world, Indians included. I always tell my fellow Indians not to be discouraged by negative news in the Media, but infact even more INdians should immigrate to australia so Australians will realize how peaceful & great Indians & the Indian culture is.

Btw, australian ICT market is growing strong & projected to stay the way for the next couple of years.

Reactions: rsingh1984

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi JBY,

Thanks for the reply,

Lets say I proceed with the Melbourne employer and get a good opportunity in London too in the midst of visa process, will it be within my rights to decline the offer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the reply andy. I kind of thought that..am okay with repaying the costs for something really good in london. Apart from the costs, will I have a legal binding if the visa is approved?

I am just thinking out loud here, I might just go ahead with the Melbourne offer if they pay me well because the job scene at the moment is quite dull in UK

Btw, what should constitute a good salary in Melbourne. I am kind of expecting 110-120k AUD with 6 years of SAP experience

·
Registered
110 Posts
Seems good to me but not good on IT salarys. There is a salary website, do a search on here as it has been mentioned lots.

Once the visa has been granted and you pull out they may give you big fees as company pay a small fortune to agents, I would only sign a contract if you a certain you want the move but they will not move forward with visa till you do.

I got a good relocation package and they told me that if I left within 12 months I had to repay this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Andy. I actually did some research on the internet before quoting 125k to them and am hoping to receive an offer in the range of 110-120.

You seemed to move from England, what's your take on life in Melbourne as against London

P.S I am a single guy with not too much of baggage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.