Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding which Visa to apply for. Please let me explain.

I'm an American, living in Ireland, and engaged to my wonderful British fiance. I'm planning to live with him in the U.K. around September of this year.

However, I'm legally separated from my ex husband. We will process our application in January, 2016 and were told by our solicitors it will take only 4-6 to get our divorce papers.

My question is: I'm not sure if I should apply for a Fiancee Visa or Join Family in UK Visa? I was told I would have to travel back to Ireland and apply for a Fiancee Visa there not in the UK? Or I can apply to Join my Fiance in the UK Visa and get married before the 6 months period?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
I don't get your timescales here.

You say that you intend to live with fiance in the UK around September of this year.

However you are only legally separated from your husband.

You are going to process the application in January 2016 (the visa for the UK or the divorce? ) and that the divorce will take some 4 to 6 months to complete?

Under what circumstances are you going to try and enter the UK in September?

I understand that you have to give details of previous marriages etc on any application form and that, if applying for fiance/spouse/unmarried partner visa, immigration expect the previous relationship to be legally ended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Nyclon
I forgot to ask you this question yesterday. Although I'm not legally divorced, can I still apply for Join Family in the UK Visa? You've been so helpful! Thanks a million!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiya Crawford
I forgot to type 4-6 weeks. I'm going to the UK as a Standard Visitor which to my knowledge doesn't require a Visa being that I'm an American. I'm allowed to stay no longer than 6 months in the UK. Thanks for replying.

·
Super Moderator
18,059 Posts
Applying to join family can be done in 2 ways. Either as a fiancé in which case the visa is good for 6 months and you must marry within 6 months and then apply for FLR (M). Or as a spouse. In both cases, if you will need to provide your divorce decree, so you can't apply until you are divorced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.