Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
My son received a letter from the NY French Consulate regarding the JDC (he turned 16 recently and is registered at the consulate and holds a US and French passport).
As I understand the letter, there isn't a meeting and the certificate they included is his proof of participation (or lack of due to there not being a local group..?) and is valid for 5 years.
My confusion arises from the statement that if he visits France before his 25th birthday he needs to register there?
So if we vacation in France he must register once he arrives? Can someone clarify?

thanks!

·
Administrator
50,441 Posts
You may want to take a look at the Service Public page on the JDC https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F871 It sounds as if you may have misunderstood the letter. From what I can tell, the JDC is obligatory for an 18 year old. And, your son will be invited to a session for the JDC sometime between when he has registered with the consulate and his 18th birthday.

They do say that if it is impossible for him to attend a session due to local legal restrictions on this sort of session, then he should register on his return to France if that occurs before his 25th birthday. (If you just go as a tourist, there's no problem.)

I think you just need to see what happens between now and your son's 18th birthday. If there is a session, they'll call him to attend. If there isn't, then perhaps that certificate is his "proof" of having satisfied the obligation. (Hard to tell from a distance just what the NY Consulate does for these cases.)

BTW - I'm moving you to the France section, since this relates to French duties and obligations.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is what it says
Avant la date de leur dix-huitième anniversaire, il et prèvu que les jeunes sure le territoire national participant à une Journée Défense et Citoyenneté. En l’absence de JDC organisée dans la circonscription consilaire de New York (NY,NJ,CT) les jeunes concernés reçoivent une attestation proviso ire d’une validité de cinq ans, jointe à ce courier, qui se substitute à l’attestation de participation à la JDC

·
Administrator
50,441 Posts
OK, as long as they aren't planning on holding a JDC, it looks like your son is more or less off the hook. And, depending on his circumstances, if he doesn't move back to France before his 25th birthday, that's more or less the end of that. If he (or you, as a family) do decide to return to France after the 5 year certificate has expired but before his 25th birthday, he should probably contact the consulate in NY to get an extension to the certificate.

There are a few things here in France that could potentially require "proof" of having completed the JDC obligation and the certificate(s) could prove useful if/when asked. In fact, I'd hang onto those certificates just on the off chance he returns to France (to live, not just to visit). You never know when something like that could come in handy.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts