Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi; What is the best place to buy a brand-new computer for PROFESSIONAL usage that includes all software + licenses and comes with service repair/maintenance in case something goes wrong ? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
HP has a good shop at the Sheikh Zyed road, near interchanges 3, towards A/D.

I bought an MFP recently with a service contract for my office and was impressed with their product knowledge.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Avoid popular malls, they're a rip off.

Visit computer plaza (al ain centre), they have all brands you can possibly think of, and the prices are cheaper. (it's the same product, with warranty)

If by professional you mean extreme graphic designing, you are able to customize a desktop computer there with all sorts of high end motherboards, graphics cards, and cases. (all you can think of)

make sure you know what you are looking for with a little bit of internet research, pick your brand, decide on your specs, find out its price.

Walk around all the stores in computer plaza, check for similar specs (and brand) and make sure they give you a similar price. (and always ask for the last price, no matter what)

Hint: 3rd gen and 4th gen processors are a marketing technique, there isn't much difference between them. (unless you are into extreme graphic designing)

If you are looking for good quality laptops, I suggest you go for dell or hp.

The lower priced laptops such as lenovo with similar or equal specs might seem like a good catch at first but expect reduced lifetime.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i would try and avoid the likes of plugins and sharaf DG..... ive bought items from both and had horrific after sales support with faulty goods.
Yes, I had problems with DG too. Several years ago, I almost bought with DG a laptop. When I got the box at the cash-register, it looked opened, but they guaranteed the item was brand new. Curiosity won, and when I started to check the item, it was full of fingerprints and had clear signs of extensive use; it was the display model. I stopped the transaction. What happens next made them loose a customer: it was for them a normal routine, no emotions, no apologies, not even an explanation... I really felt they did not care at all, and I am convinced they where just trying their luck with selling this display item, without telling the customer....

It also seems the have been hard hit with the crash in 2008... their inventory has not yet recovered....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Avoid popular malls, they're a rip off.

Visit computer plaza (al ain centre), they have all brands you can possibly think of, and the prices are cheaper. (it's the same product, with warranty)

If by professional you mean extreme graphic designing, you are able to customize a desktop computer there with all sorts of high end motherboards, graphics cards, and cases. (all you can think of)

make sure you know what you are looking for with a little bit of internet research, pick your brand, decide on your specs, find out its price.

Walk around all the stores in computer plaza, check for similar specs (and brand) and make sure they give you a similar price. (and always ask for the last price, no matter what)

Hint: 3rd gen and 4th gen processors are a marketing technique, there isn't much difference between them. (unless you are into extreme graphic designing)

If you are looking for good quality laptops, I suggest you go for dell or hp.

The lower priced laptops such as lenovo with similar or equal specs might seem like a good catch at first but expect reduced lifetime.
Great ! Thanks a lot buddy !

·
Registered
226 Posts
The latest intel processors have much better battery life (for the same speed and battery capacity) than the previous generation. If running on battery is something you expect to do a lot, then I would suggest you pay attention to the generation and buy a recent model.

D.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I am convinced they where just trying their luck with selling this display item, without telling the customer....
This is par for the course with 90% of retail here. And while they probably didn't care there is also a general bewilderment as to why you wouldn't want it, same, same. I've experienced it as a customer but also as a retailer buying wholesale, people genuinely confused as to why I can't sell an item with a knackered box or that's been sat in the sun for 6 months and totally faded.

It also seems the have been hard hit with the crash in 2008... their inventory has not yet recovered....
Most retailers don't have any concept of stock cycles and don't believe or have a clue about marketing to shift stock within an allotted time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My experience with sharaf.... bought some headphones, just over 1000 aed, got the home and discovered a tear in the ear cup. Took them back a few days later for a straight swap (just assumed I was unlucky with a duff pair and would get them changed in 2mins) only to be told go away and deal with manufacturer. ... I kicked off and refused to leave without either a new pair or my money back.... got a new pair about 30mins in....

Moral of the story, dont take what they offer...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sharaf or whatever can't simply make a return for some wires that I end up not needing and giving me a reason that i already opened it and can't put it back on there shelf.

it's called OPEN BOX many companies in the US practice it and works very well, but unlike these guys throwing everything around call it New.

That's why I chose to buy everything online even if it ends up paying more on shipping, but in trade I have trust on returns and actual service on warranty on there behalf .

·
Banned
38 Posts
The latest intel processors have much better battery life (for the same speed and battery capacity) than the previous generation. If running on battery is something you expect to do a lot, then I would suggest you pay attention to the generation and buy a recent model.

D.
Oh wow, I never knew that, on most computer geek forums I check all they talked about was the 5 to 10% speed improvement (which is hardly noticeable for a regular user)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh wow, I never knew that, on most computer geek forums I check all they talked about was the 5 to 10% speed improvement (which is hardly noticeable for a regular user)
One other thing to consider is that the memory size can be more important than CPU speed. In most cases, if budget is limited, you should always try to get the highest possible memory installed, rather than trying to get the highest CPU speed. I advice that if running 64 bit Windows, you should go with no less than 6GB, but better is 8GB.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One other thing to consider is that the memory size can be more important than CPU speed. In most cases, if budget is limited, you should always try to get the highest possible memory installed, rather than trying to get the highest CPU speed. I advice that if running 64 bit Windows, you should go with no less than 6GB, but better is 8GB.
that is right I'm running the same set up on my Samsung Laptop 6GB RAM with windows 7 64bit and running fine since day one, but I'll upgrade to 8GB when it starts slow up a bit. Also it has an I5 Intel processor which is great compared to my brother's older processor on his Mac book Pro which crashes every time he renders out one of his videos or w.e.

So basically every bit counts lol

·
Banned
38 Posts
The minimum you can get these days is 8 gb, in rare cases 4 gb.

8 GB of ram is also more than you can ever use as a regular computer user.

Casual User
Internet browsing, e-mail and listening to music 1GB-2GB

Frequent User
Internet browsing, email, word processing, simple
graphics programs and flash games, music and 2GB-4GB
watching videos, multitasking.

Power User
Internet browsing, email, word processing, photo
editing, video editing, graphics programs and gaming, 4GB-8GB
intensive multitasking.

Professional User/Gamer/Graphic Designer

High performance gaming, multimedia editing, high-