Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recenty got my visa to join my partner in the UK. I have been looking for vacancies for a while I do not find any ads that are according to my profile (I am an anthropologist) in the city where we are going to live, except for London and it would be impossible to commute every day. I am wondering if I must work/live in the same city where my partner currently works, or if it would be ok to look for job in a different place and seeing each other during weekends.
Would this be a problem in the future when I apply for ILR?:confused:
Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
Hi, I recenty got my visa to join my partner in the UK. I have been looking for vacancies for a while I do not find any ads that are according to my profile (I am an anthropologist) in the city where we are going to live, except for London and it would be impossible to commute every day. I am wondering if I must work/live in the same city where my partner currently works, or if it would be ok to look for job in a different place and seeing each other during weekends.
Would this be a problem in the future when I apply for ILR?:confused:
Thanks for your help.
Yes, this would definitely be a problem if your visa is a fiance/spouse/civil partner visa. Seeing each other on weekends isn't living together which was the whole point of you getting a visa to join your partner. It's going to look like you got the visa to get a job rather than continue your relationship.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this would definitely be a problem if your visa is a fiance/spouse/civil partner visa. Seeing each other on weekends isn't living together which was the whole point of you getting a visa to join your partner. It's going to look like you got the visa to get a job rather than continue your relationship.
I definitely got the visa so that we can be together, but the job prospects are so slim and I dont want to end up working in whatever kind of job (I have studied a lot and I am in the early stage of my research career). Guess we'll have to figure out something. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I definitely got the visa so that we can be together, but the job prospects are so slim and I dont want to end up working in whatever kind of job (I have studied a lot and I am in the early stage of my research career). Guess we'll have to figure out something. Thanks anyway.
Hi Moninna,

We will be in a similar situation too far to really commute to London, even though that's where the jobs in my field are (and I really need to be in a field that I have experience to get the amount of money to get ILR). Of course that means relooking at options.

BTW, I was going to ask the same question.

M

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
mehemlynn said:
Hi Moninna,

We will be in a similar situation too far to really commute to London, even though that's where the jobs in my field are (and I really need to be in a field that I have experience to get the amount of money to get ILR). Of course that means relooking at options.

BTW, I was going to ask the same question.
You need to realise it's really the task of your UK sponsor to support you sufficiently. Your work prospect is secondary consideration, and living together (i.e. every day) should be top priority, even if it means accepting lower standard of living or not your being in an ideal job. Once you get your ILR, you can do what you like to further your career. UKBA is very strict on this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How does UKBA know if your living together every day or just weekends? Probably you can get a position and see each other on weekends while you get another job which allows you to live on daily basics with your partner.

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
CARLOSDURAN said:
How does UKBA know if your living together every day or just weekends? Probably you can get a position and see each other on weekends while you get another job which allows you to live on daily basics with your partner.
You have to give your work details including address, and it will be obvious if it's 200 miles away from home address.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys, I realise that my visa was issued "to join partner" so that's the point of it. My partner can support me financially, thanks God he has a good salary. The concern was because I am profesionally ambitious... but I'll be patient and with a bit of luck (or maybe more than just a bit) I'll find a job that makes me happy and in the area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a terrible idea to lie to the UKBA, withhold or give misleading information. They can easily know where you work (only by checking the National Insurance number). The person who does it is going to be in big trouble! Not suggesting that's what you meant...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found the UKBA definition of "intention to live permanently with the other" which is a requisite for the spouse/ unmarried partner/ civil partner visa
"intention to live permanently with the other" means an intention to live together, evidenced by a clear commitment from both parties that they will live together permanently in the United Kingdom immediately following the outcome of the application in question or as soon as circumstances permit thereafter, and "intends to live permanently with the other" shall be construed accordingly.
You can find other useful definitions here UK Border Agency | Introduction

·
Registered
631 Posts
You need to realise it's really the task of your UK sponsor to support you sufficiently. Your work prospect is secondary consideration, and living together (i.e. every day) should be top priority, even if it means accepting lower standard of living or not your being in an ideal job. Once you get your ILR, you can do what you like to further your career. UKBA is very strict on this.
Do you know how they feel about telecommuting to work in another city with a day in the office (one or two days a week), which is an option that I was also looking at? Of course the ideal would be a job in my hometown, and in my field (we are also looking at other fields), the hometown isn't going to change because we own our home.

M

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
Do you know how they feel about telecommuting to work in another city with a day in the office (one or two days a week), which is an option that I was also looking at? Of course the ideal would be a job in my hometown, and in my field (we are also looking at other fields), the hometown isn't going to change because we own our home.
I'm pretty sure one night away a week is fine, as are occasional business trips demanded by your work. Anything more, say 3 days or more a week and they may begin to doubt your intention for cohabitation.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm pretty sure one night away a week is fine, as are occasional business trips demanded by your work. Anything more, say 3 days or more a week and they may begin to doubt your intention for cohabitation.
Thanks Joppa, I suppose that would still need a lot of explanation.

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
Thanks Joppa, I suppose that would still need a lot of explanation.
Just reinforce what others have said. Spouse visa is for those who wish to live long term (settle) in UK with their partner and any dependants. It isn't for your career development, and work privilege is a kind of concession. Some other countries, like France, haven't until recently allowed 'trailing spouse' to work, unless they have EEA citizenship. Anything that casts doubt on your intention to live together permanently will be scrutinised, and can be a reason for refusing extension or ILR.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have read that there are exceptions to the rule but it only applies to people who are in the forces. and it has to be disclosed. because not every trip my husband makes i can go on. :( but thats the only thing i saw about it. because they understand that people in the military cant have every trip accompanied.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.