Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Wise Ones,

My spouse is a UK Citizen who has been living and working in France for over 10 years and is considering taking a UK salaried position while remaining in France.

The thing is, I just got my Carte de Sejour based on him exercising his treaty right to work in France. Question 1 is: If he does this, will I lose my right to work in France?:confused2:

He intends to have an autoentrepreneur business separate from his other activities, though, so technically, he'll still be self-employed in France, at least eventually, but we're not sure of the timing and how long that might take. Besides, the income he'll receive as an AE will be significantly less.

Question 2 is: Does anyone know if this will cause problems when the time comes to renew my carte?

Thank you.

·
Administrator
49,769 Posts
Ooh, that's a tricky one. I suspect it may well depend on how your local prefecture wants to handle things. If he'll be paying UK taxes and social insurances, it does kind of negate the idea that he's "exercising his EU rights" here in France. The AE may or may not be enough for the prefecture to go ahead with the renewal - but be sure to check the minimum amounts of cotisations he'll have to generate to be covered by the sécu.

Then again, if he could arrange to pay French taxes and cotisations on his UK salary, there would be no problem.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then again, if he could arrange to pay French taxes and cotisations on his UK salary, there would be no problem.
Cheers,
Bev
That is the other alternative...to work with a portage salarial in which case he'd be paying cotisations here. It's just so expensive...about half his salary swallowed. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts