Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Me and my husband are looking to apply for his visa at the end of this year once I have worked for six months. We've been in a relationship for four and a half years and married for one and a half year.

Before marriage we lived together for six months, and after marriage we lived in his country for one and a half year until last month.

Anyway the complications are my husbands family are Christians and my family are Muslims. Unfortunately as it is an interfaith marriage my family were and continue to be against it. They have never met my husband and are convinced that I should leave him. As I married legally and not a religious ceremony they do not even deem me married. Mad I know!

The concern I have is that knowing my family I wouldn't be surprised if they get a "bright idea" and put complaint in to the UKBA questioning the credibility of our marriage.

My issue is do we voice our concerns in the application, or would it be opening a can of worms for ourselves?

Whilst I have no issue with proving the authenticity of my marriage I don't want the visa to be delayed by any unnecessary issues. Especially if it turns out they don't create a fake comlaint.

If when reviewing our application we provide solid evidence our relationship is genuine, however they receive some sort of fake complaint would they at least interview me or my husband before making decision?

Advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Personally, I would not loose any sleep over it, would not mention it anywhere as it's not relevant and would basically do nothing whatsoever about it.

In truth, there's nothing your family can do and there's no one they can complain to.

Even if they try and fill in some form or another about your marriage being fraudulent, they'll need to explain how it's fraudulent, which they will fail to do, and no one whatsoever will read it anyway (personal experience not with family but with hubby's drunk friend who thought it would be a good laugh). So, relax and enjoy yourself as chances of any hassle are so miniscule it's perfectly safe to ignore them. :)

·
Registered
38,982 Posts
I would explain the situation briefly in your cover letter, as absence of your side of the family in the wedding photos, which you should enclose, may raise a question or two. Home Office is quite aware of difficulties mixed couples face, so don't try to hide it but turn it to your advantage - that despite hostility from your family, your marriage is strong and you are determined to continue your life together in UK.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would explain the situation briefly in your cover letter, as absence of your side of the family in the wedding photos, which you should enclose, may raise a question or two. Home Office is quite aware of difficulties mixed couples face, so don't try to hide it but turn it to your advantage - that despite hostility from your family, your marriage is strong and you are determined to continue your life together in UK.
Thank you both for your response.

I know this might sound like I'm overthinking the situation however I'm concerned if at the UKVA the handler whom reviewed my case is Muslim they would have a negative bias from the start. It may sound a little far fetched I know however I'm quite cautious just due to the way many Muslims here in the U.K. have reacted towards my marriage.

Also would it be worth to include the fact that my husband is Indian and I'm third generation British Pakistani. Unfortunately India has an absurd rule that if your parents or grandparents were born in Pakistan and even if your spouse is Indian you can only get one year visa. Whilst residing there you're not able to take part in any business, employment or studies. The same would most likely apply for my children. Although I resided there a year me and my husband don't feel it's practical long term.

I know it's complicated so I'm probably over thinking but I'm completely confused!

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
They (the ECO) aren't supposed to bring personal biases/opinions into the equation when it comes to evaluating an application (they must be objective in every instance) so, if your caseworker happens to be a Muslim, they are mandated to look at your application on merit alone just as much as a caseworker who has homophobic views is required to regard an application from a same-sex couple seeking a Proposed Civil Partnership/Civil Partner visa on its merits rather than the composition of the partnership.

·
Registered
38,982 Posts
The only worry you can have is that your relationship doesn't look quite right (lack of one side of the family in wedding photos etc) and they may doubt its viability and veracity, so that's why I suggested you briefly describe your situation in your cover letter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.