Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and it's a little bit complicated...

My boyfriend lives in Paris. I spent the summer with him on a 90 day visa, came home and found out we are pregnant. I'm currently three months pregnant.

I started having complications with my pregnancy a few weeks ago and have been on modified bed rest. My doctor is telling me I need to move as soon as possible to get settled and to see my new doctor in Paris so I can be closely monitored. He's wonderful and has already found me a doctor who speaks English at the American hospital. Whew!

I have my appointment to apply for a long term visa on Monday. After reading everyone's different experiences I want to be as prepared as possible and have all the correct paperwork in order. I am having my doctor write a letter that he is recommending my move ASAP, even though its not required or even asked for. My boyfriend is writing a letter stating he will be supporting me financially and adding me to his insurance. He is signing a lease for a new apartment tomorrow and adding my name to the lease. I do have insurance here that will cover 50% of overseas costs.

Basically my question is, do we PACS or get married? Should he add that to the letter he is writing?

How long does it take for his insurance to add me?

Do I still need to get travel insurance?

From what I've read they may deny my long term visa if I say we are getting pacs or married within the 90 days, which I am assuming we have to do right away so he can add me to his insurance. If we get pacs or married in France without me having a long term visa, its my understanding I will still have to come back to LA to apply for a long term visa. My doctor doesn't want me traveling more than I have to due to the complications I'm having.

Is there ever an exception due to health reasons that they will grant me?

I would so appreciate any insight anyone has.

Thank you so much!

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Things would be a bit more "automatic" if you could say that you and your boyfriend were getting married within the six months following your arrival. However, you will still need health insurance covering your first year in France.

Saying you're going to get PACS'd is risky, as some prefectures require you to have 6 months or a year of living together (documented) before you can get PACS'd and some require a full year of living together before they will give you a carte de séjour.

In any event, you're going to applying for a visitor visa for that first year - and then at the end of the first year, you apply to change status when renewing your titre de séjour. They don't generally give "medical" exceptions unless you're from a Third World country going for treatment not available in your own country. You'll need some kind of health coverage that will cover your maternity care, as you can't get onto your boyfriend's coverage until you are PACS'd or married and you have your carte de séjour (if I understand correctly from folks who have recently gone through the process).

Your boyfriend should start looking into the requirements for getting married/PACS'd in the departement where you'll be living, so that you'll have the correct documents with you. And he should check with the CPAM to find out the requirements for putting a foreign wife/partner on his medical card as an ayant droit (basically, dependent). It would be better for you if you can show the consulate that you have set a tentative date for your marriage or have at least contacted the local mairie (town hall) about the requirements.

Given the usual sorts of restrictions on health plans covering maternity costs, you may want to consider staying put and having the baby in the US (perhaps your bf can join you for the birth), and then moving over to get married and/or PACS'd under less stressful circumstances.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the information and advice Bev.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Many, many thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.