Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm applying for visa 186 (Temporary Residence Transition stream). My company already submitted their part a few days ago and got in the receipt a reference number (which I'm guessing is the Transaction Reference Number (TRN). Right?)

Now someone told me that I have to wait till the application done by my company gets approved before I lodge my part of the 186 application. Is this right? Can't I submit it right now?

Nowhere in the DIBP page says when I have to lodge my part.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
23,911 Posts
Hi, I'm applying for visa 186 (Temporary Residence Transition stream). My company already submitted their part a few days ago and got in the receipt a reference number (which I'm guessing is the Transaction Reference Number (TRN). Right?)

Now someone told me that I have to wait till the application done by my company gets approved before I lodge my part of the 186 application. Is this right? Can't I submit it right now?

Nowhere in the DIBP page says when I have to lodge my part.

Thank you very much
You cannot apply right away

The eligibility for the visa says that the employer nomination has to be approved

You might be able to get this visa under the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you:
hold a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
have at least competent English (unless you are exempt from this requirement)
worked for at least two out of the previous three years (before the nomination is made) in the same position your employer nominated you for while you held your subclass 457 visa as the primary visa holder, your employer has nominated you for a permanent position under this stream, and the nomination has been approved.
Your skills do not need to be assessed because you have already worked for your nominating employer for two years in Australia.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I lodged my application about 5 minutes after the nomination was submitted. You can apply as long as you have the nomination TRN as this links your application to that nomination. But you're correct - if the nomination is refused then your application can no longer be processed and you wouldn't get a refund for withdrawing it.

So you need to decide whether you are willing to take this risk in order to have the visa processed more quickly (since they will often process the visa application quite soon after finalising the nomination) or whether you'd rather wait for the nomination to be approved before submitting your application. The downside to the second approach is that the visa processing starts from scratch so you may wait an additional 9-12 months after the nomination is approved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So it seems, I can lodge the applicants part right now BUT, if my employer nomination part is not approved, I'll lose all the money from my application.
Sounds about right. The assumption (and it's a big assumption) when one lodges an ENS visa application before knowing the outcome of the related ENS nomination application, is that the nomination application would be approved.

I just had someone come into my office today: the assumption turned out to be wrong (I wasn't involved in lodging their applications prior to this).

Regards
Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts