Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yall! down to 43 days till I apply!
I was in the uk two weeks ago meeting my hubbys parents. Well i was telling him that i was sure i saw somewhere on here that they passed a law that once you get to UK on your spousal visa, you have the 2 years and then apply for Indefinite leave to remain, during which time you must keep $800 in an account at all times, and you have to do like 140 hours of community service????

I have researched, tried to find it on here and on the uk border website. I remember it being on here, and there was a link. But darn if I cant find it!
If any of yall remember that let me know!

cheers
Pepper

·
Registered
84 Posts
whoa... hold the horses.

Hi again! Just a note - you are not applying for ILR. You are applying for the probationary permission to live here. It is 2 years (27 month visa) THEN you can apply for permanent settlement (ILR.)

I have seen no where any community service requirement for partners/spouses/children ILR. Who knows if required of other types of visa desirables.

UK Border Agency and Home Office websites are your friend already, so here the info is again, along with the rules.

UK Border Agency | Partners and other family members is for your first 2 year probationary spouse visa, which you are applying for.

UK Border Agency | Settling in the UK is the ILR, or Settlement, which cannot happen until the 2 year probationary (which you are applying for now, correct?) is completed.

I'll of course step back if anyone has different ideas...but the Home Office/Border Agency sites are pretty comprehensive.

Good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again! Just a note - you are not applying for ILR. You are applying for the probationary permission to live here. It is 2 years (27 month visa) THEN you can apply for permanent settlement (ILR.)

I have seen no where any community service requirement for partners/spouses/children ILR. Who knows if required of other types of visa desirables.

UK Border Agency and Home Office websites are your friend already, so here the info is again, along with the rules.

UK Border Agency | Partners and other family members is for your first 2 year probationary spouse visa, which you are applying for.

UK Border Agency | Settling in the UK is the ILR, or Settlement, which cannot happen until the 2 year probationary (which you are applying for now, correct?) is completed.

I'll of course step back if anyone has different ideas...but the Home Office/Border Agency sites are pretty comprehensive.

Good luck!
hi!~
ya i know i am not applying for ILTR yet... :)
But I was just remembering someone said something about a new rule that had passed back in August effecting anyone who applies for spousal visa after January. IDK maybe i made it up!!! hopefully! i sure dont want to have to do any Community Service !
Thanks
Pepper

·
Registered
84 Posts
Minuvweyna had a post about a month ago about changes to rules... I've not time to search for it, but I remember she'd mentioned some changes to folks coming up beyond my time frame for ILR.

I think it was on one of your threads...

Maybe take a peek or shout out for her.

:)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Minuvweyna had a post about a month ago about changes to rules... I've not time to search for it, but I remember she'd mentioned some changes to folks coming up beyond my time frame for ILR.

I think it was on one of your threads...

Maybe take a peek or shout out for her.

:)
ya i did that about a month ago...just cant seem to find it. but ill continue the search. thanks for the response

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
They are eventually going to be doing away with ILR. It will be replaced by "Earned Citizenship". Those who wish to get their citizenship faster can do community service. It won't be a requirement. I believe I read where all of this transition to "Earned Citizenship" will begin in July of 2011.

Going to agree with Fatbrit...volunteering is a great way to learn the ropes of things and to meet new people. I did it for a little while, when I was pregnant with my first, and met some really lovely people who are still my friends to this day.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are eventually going to be doing away with ILR. It will be replaced by "Earned Citizenship". Those who wish to get their citizenship faster can do community service. It won't be a requirement. I believe I read where all of this transition to "Earned Citizenship" will begin in July of 2011.

Going to agree with Fatbrit...volunteering is a great way to learn the ropes of things and to meet new people. I did it for a little while, when I was pregnant with my first, and met some really lovely people who are still my friends to this day.
well, if community service is anything like it is here in Texas- orange jumpsuit, picking up trash on the side of the road., No thanks..... Ill make friends the old way!

·
Registered
139 Posts
well, if community service is anything like it is here in Texas- orange jumpsuit, picking up trash on the side of the road., No thanks..... Ill make friends the old way!
That is not the sort of community service they are talking about. I volunteered at a place where they rented out used children's toys to people. They aren't talking about cleaning up streets in orange jumpsuits, and it is not a punishment.

This is quoted from the link I posted previously for you:

"To demonstrate active citizenship, a migrant might volunteer with a recognised organisation such as a charity, serve on a community body or take part in an activity that:

*advances education or health;
*advances social and community welfare;
*advances heritage, arts, culture or sport;
*benefits the natural environment;
*benefits children, young people, elderly people, disabled people or other vulnerable groups; and/or involves mentoring or befriending.

People who do volunteer will get their citizenship 2 years earlier than those who don't.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but yes, I do see how it will benefit. I was reading up on the advancement of citizenship. Thanks for the link- it has shed the light!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.