Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just have a question about the 6 month time frame I can visit the UK without a visa.I am a US citizen.I visited Scotland for one week the end of February and came through Dublin as airfare was much cheaper.I got an Irish 3 month stamp in my passport.I stayed a week and returned home via Dublin.
So if I was to return for a trip this summer to spend time with my boyfriend(ideally 3 to 4 weeks),how does that work?I won't make the mistake of using Dublin,I'll fly into Glasgow this time, would I get a 6 month stamp and be advised to leave early so I didn't overstay?Obviously if they give me a 6 month stamp and I used it for 6 months,I would overstay....The whole thing has left me sort of confused.Any information you could provide would be welcomed.Anyone else have any experience on this?:confused2:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You are only planning to stay for 3-4 weeks, that plus the one week will not put you over. If you tell them you are planning the short stay, they will most likely just give you the six month stamp and there will be no issue.

You are needlessly worrying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are only planning to stay for 3-4 weeks, that plus the one week will not put you over. If you tell them you are planning the short stay, they will most likely just give you the six month stamp and there will be no issue.

You are needlessly worrying.
I probably am worrying needlessly.Another scenario my boyfriend and I were talking about would be to visit in April or May for 3 weeks,and then again in August. My 6 month stamp would cover both trips right? Its 6 months in a one year period correct?:confused2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what I'm trying to say,is would they give me a 6 month stamp,or not? Just didn't know how it worked since I came through Dublin,and already had a week in the UK.I'd have proof of return ticket,even if we did opt to have two trips to visit this summer....I just didn't know if coming into the UK through Dublin for a week would mess up getting a 6 month stamp,and maybe they'd give me a smaller amount of time to visit? Hope this makes sense,because I'm confusing myself.lol

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The standard "stamp" is for six months. However, they can make it shorter if they are suspicious of you. I believe it's called a coded landing.

They can write a shorter date onto your stamp, say for two weeks or whatever. Then your departure will be monitored based on passenger lists provided by the airlines.

If however they have no reason to suspect you, they will just give you a six month stamp even if you say you plan to stay for two weeks. If you ended up staying three weeks, it would be no issue. Sometimes people's plans change a bit.

Six months in a year is a general guideline. There are exceptions to that, but if you were to constantly come and go for long periods of time, they would begin to suspect you are trying to live in the UK without benefit of visa.

I was in the UK for two weeks, six weeks later I flew back and stayed three months. I left for a month to NZ, then came back to the UK (this time with my fiancé) and stayed an additional three weeks. All of these trips caused no problem. I then came back to the US for five months, then reentered the UK for six months. That trip, I was questioned at the border, but I was admitted for the full six months. I was however admonished to have my fiancé visa in hand before I tried to return again.

Which I now of course have and will be returning in ten days. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The standard "stamp" is for six months. However, they can make it shorter if they are suspicious of you. I believe it's called a coded landing.

They can write a shorter date onto your stamp, say for two weeks or whatever. Then your departure will be monitored based on passenger lists provided by the airlines.

If however they have no reason to suspect you, they will just give you a six month stamp even if you say you plan to stay for two weeks. If you ended up staying three weeks, it would be no issue. Sometimes people's plans change a bit.

Six months in a year is a general guideline. There are exceptions to that, but if you were to constantly come and go for long periods of time, they would begin to suspect you are trying to live in the UK without benefit of visa.

I was in the UK for two weeks, six weeks later I flew back and stayed three months. I left for a month to NZ, then came back to the UK (this time with my fiancé) and stayed an additional three weeks. All of these trips caused no problem. I then came back to the US for five months, then reentered the UK for six months. That trip, I was questioned at the border, but I was admitted for the full six months. I was however admonished to have my fiancé visa in hand before I tried to return again.

Which I now of course have and will be returning in ten days. :D
Aww,thats lovely news;) I'm so glad to hear it worked out so well.Yes,I had one week end of February,came straight back to the States, but we want another trip soonish,and possibly another end of summer.At some point in time I would probably stay for a bit longer than 3 weeks,just dont know yet when that will happen.

So you had several trips back and forth as well.I guess I was thinking more than I needed to.I have a tendency to do that quite a bit;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.