Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone is aware of any common problems faced in getting a Australian Passport ? or should i say any areas that can be improved in new passport process ?

Just doing a research and want to gather some info in this regards.

Thanks in adv.
Cheers;

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
It's a straightforward form and process, you do have to have an AU Citizen other than family witness your photograph and sign the form, but this can be a co-worker or bank manager. Processing time is quick (<2 weeks in most cases). You normally lodge the application at a AU Post Office or an AU consulate if overseas.

You need to be an AU Citizen to get an AU passport. As a Citizen of India you cannot have dual Citizenship so if you get AU Citizenship this leads to automatic loss of Indian Citizenship.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone is aware of any common problems faced in getting a Australian Passport ? or should i say any areas that can be improved in new passport process ?

Just doing a research and want to gather some info in this regards.

Thanks in adv.
Cheers;

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Most of the people on here won't have Australian passports (yet) so this may not be the right place to ask that question.

You can't apply for a passport until you're a citizen and you have to be here 4 years (at the moment), pass a test and attend a citizenship ceremony to get your citizenship.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
No, the OZ government doesn't care, but your home country does, so as soon as they find out you have another Citizenship (i.e. they see your other passport) then they'll revoke your home country Citizenship. Sure you could play a game where they don't find out, but what will you do when you need to enter AU (you need to do that on an AU passport as your AU Visa expires the second you are granted AU Citizenship by attending an AU Citizenship ceremony).

So what exactly will you show at SIN immigration?

And isn't it entirely possible that they PP you used at SIN check-in desk (AU passport) will show up on the SIN Immi computer as well. Expect to spend some time with a SIN Immi officer if that's the case.

Just a wild question - does the OZ Government care if my home country does not allow dual citizenship?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts