Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
CFO refused to issue guidance and counseling certificate for my fiancee.

I was under impression that CFO only runs training not actually has power to decide if person should go abroad or not.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yep, they can actually refuse to issue the certificate, so in fact, denying them the ability to go abroad.
When my wife attended a few years ago, she said there was one person in her "batch" that was denied, so it does happen.
Did they tell your fiancee under what conditions they would issue them a certificate? Like if they came back in 1-3 months and showed proof of X, Y or Z?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reason for denial was that we never meet in person, and need to provide photo together.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Part of the efforts to limit sham marriages. Seems very reasonable to me. Would be denied when she went to the interview anyway as one of the requirements is personal contact/interaction.

In my own train of thought, I cannot imagine marrying someone I have not had eye to eye & body to body contact with, at least some physical interaction. Only My Opinion.

Fred

·
Registered
570 Posts
CFO refused to issue guidance and counseling certificate for my fiancee.

I was under impression that CFO only runs training not actually has power to decide if person should go abroad or not.
Your situation may be legit but my initial thoughts were that they "suspected" more than "you never physically met each other" .

How did she say she met you on her documents and interviews? Years ago there was a huge Mail-Order bride operations here so Republic Act 10906 became law.

It shall be unlawful for any person, whether natural or juridical, to commit, directly or indirectly, any of the following acts:
(a) Engage in any business or scheme for money, profit, material, economic or other consideration which has for its purpose the matching or offering of a Filipino to a foreign national for marriage or common law partnership on a mail-order basis or through personal introduction, email, or websites on the internet;

Penalties. - Any person found guilty by the court to have committed any of the prohibited acts provided under Section 3 of this Act shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment for fifteen (15) years and a fine of not less than five hundred thousand pesos (₱500,000.00) but not more than one million pesos (₱1,000,000.00).

SOURCE: Republic Act No. 10906

CFO does have the power to intervene:

The mandatory counseling program for Filipinos in intermarriage serves as an intervention program for potential victims of mail-order spouse scheme and trafficking in the guise of intermarriage.

SOURCE: CFO Guidance and Counseling Program

·
Registered
981 Posts
5,000,000 million pesos, so a 5 trillion peso fine? $103 Billion? WOW! :p

·
Registered
651 Posts
We had been married for a while before my wife went to the CFO, in Cebu. She just needed it for a name change on her passport, no plans on going to the US. She said they were all very rude and condescending. The instructor asked how many spoke Cebuano and 75% of the class said they did not - then she proceeded to do the entire lecture in Cebuano ha ha.

They kept making up more requirements, of paperwork no one would have brought with them (we came from Iloilo). Luckily there was a retired OFW in the class and she put the teacher in her place - firmly - and everyone got their stamp.

The entire system is screwy, and pretty much a waste of time. 😎

·
Registered
981 Posts
I liked when asked how many didn't know their fiancé's last name and 2/3rds of the class raised their hand lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Typically, you go after the issuance of the US Visa. The US Visa requires a meet within the last two years, so this as a CFO requirement after the visa issuance is just you being hassled.

However, since the embassy has not been doing normal K-1 visa interviews for nearly a year, I'm guessing that she is trying to get the CFO sticker before the visa. If this is the case, they may have a point. Yes, typing that hurt a little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It was for vocation after immigration inside airport asked why she travel, then they required CFO certificate, my girl had visa already and round trip ticket and reservations. CFO women asked me to run to embassy of Philippines in country of destination provide apostatized letter of support, show my bank statement, collect another 20 papers that took me about a month and then after i provided all required documents to she decided to not issue certificate.

I lost about 2000 USD and month of my life, and lots of nervous cells, thanks to this silly law, i never heard about similar law in any other country in the world.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
No chance of getting a girl to the UK without proving an existing relationship and have met in person. Nothing unusual about it.

·
Super Moderator
3,551 Posts
It was for vocation after immigration inside airport asked why she travel, then they required CFO certificate, my girl had visa already and round trip ticket and reservations. CFO women asked me to run to embassy of Philippines i country of destination provide apostatized letter of support, show my bank statement, collect another 20 papers that took me about a month and then after i provided all required documents to she decided to not issue certificate.

I lost about 2000 USD and moth of my life, and lots of nervous cells, thanks to this silly law, i never heard about similar law any other country in the world.
That's a huge loss and like you mentioned a whole bunch of stress for nothing, they should have made it clearer as to all the requirements needed but that doesn't happen because there's no time to explain they just make you go through the procedures they try to limit as much contact as possible, that's been my experience so you really have to know the laws before you set foot in country.

So when tourism opens up again, can you just retire or live here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No chance of getting a girl to the UK without proving an existing relationship and have met in person.
We have long distance relationship for year i submit proof of conversation and that i provided financial support as well, however they need this meet in person thing...

can you just retire or live here?
I'd love to do that, but i see no way of doing it, tried to come in the past and was turned back so guessing i am blacklisted now, it might take lots of money to clear my name in blacklist, $1000 for fees another $2000-3000 for lawyer.

Then even if i come to Philippines to stay there legally i need to pay like $1000+ for visa extensions every year for max of two years after that i need to leave the country and come back again, however with my type of passport i have no visa-free entry to Philippines i would have to go back to Philippines embassy in Poland to get another visa, that flight from Philippines and back would cost another $1000 and chance of not being admitted in the country again.

I assume even if i get married to get Philippines permanent residency card i would need to pay a big chunk of money as well.

am not from US or UK i don't have this type of money available.

·
Super Moderator
3,551 Posts
I assume even if i get married to get Philippines permanent residency card i would need to pay a big chunk of money as well.

To get a permanent residency card it cost me $175 USD and once a year check in is 310 pesos, every 5 years you renew the Permanent Resident Card 13a for around 6000 pesos even though their website claims it's only $50 USD.

But like I mentioned you'd want all your original documents in order, so here the links to the Poland Philippine Embassy website with their downloaded documents:

Consular Forms Warsaw Poland Philippine Embassy

Non Immigrant Document

Medical form Now I didn't find this form on the Poland website so you will want to ask about this, this one is from the Brussels consulate.

This form wasn't on there and it never is, but it's required from the wife to sponsor you here and here's the format
Spousal pettion letter.png

·
Registered
715 Posts
We have long distance relationship for year i submit proof of conversation and that i provided financial support as well, however they need this meet in person thing...

I'd love to do that, but i see no way of doing it, tried to come in the past and was turned back so guessing i am blacklisted now, it might take lots of money to clear my name in blacklist, $1000 for fees another $2000-3000 for lawyer.

Then even if i come to Philippines to stay there legally i need to pay like $1000+ for visa extensions every year for max of two years after that i need to leave the country and come back again, however with my type of passport i have no visa-free entry to Philippines i would have to go back to Philippines embassy in Poland to get another visa, that flight from Philippines and back would cost another $1000 and chance of not being admitted in the country again.

You were refused entry to the Philippines? Why? And why would you be blacklisted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You were refused entry to the Philippines? Why? And why would you be blacklisted?
I come during ECQ when tourist are not allowed so refused entry.

Blacklisting is by the immigration law in Philippines everyone who is refused entry is supposed to be blacklisted automatically.

In practice however i think immigration make distinctions (double standards) between e.g. people from China who actually get blacklisted on denial of entry and tourists from Europe who does not get blacklisted, i heard even from Philippines consul abroad that he knows of people who were refused an entry for whatever reason, then went back second time and were admitted no problem.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My wife never applied for and has never had a CFO.
It is only required if they emigrating to another country or maybe for a few non-travel reasons.

My wife was told by DFA that she had to attend CFO to change the name on her passport. When she showed up for the class, told them she was married and not leaving the Philippines, they just gave her the certificate she did not have to sit in the class.

Now we are moving to the US next year and she will have to show it. The certificates don't expire.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I come during ECQ when tourist are not allowed so refused entry.

Blacklisting is by the immigration law in Philippines everyone who is refused entry is supposed to be blacklisted automatically.

In practice however i think immigration make distinctions (double standards) between e.g. people from China who actually get blacklisted and tourists from Europe, because i heard even from Philippines ambassador abroad that he knows of people who were refused an entry for whatever reason, then went back second time and were admitted no problem.
If that is the case, I doubt that you are blacklisted. There is a way to find out who is blacklisted, if you really want to know for sure. Check the BI website.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts