Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys :)

I have been in Australia just over a year and a half and my WHV is due to expire in Jan 2018.

Since stepping into this beautiful Country I knew it was where my heart was meant to be and the thought of having to leave makes me feel terrible!

I have done so much research on how I could stay, different visas etc....

Most of my background is in Office Support/EA roles, which I know is something I would not be able to get sponsored in!

I did think about doing a student visa but I do not want to have to do a course to then be facing the same scenario in 2-3 years time.

My question is has anyone been able to successfully stay and build a career after being on a Student Visa?? Also has it been super tough financially with the working restrictions??

I know if I were to do a Bachelors here it would be highly likely I would be able to stay but financially I think I could only afford a diploma...

Thank you so much to anyone that can provide advice in advance <3

Sam

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey guys :)

I have been in Australia just over a year and a half and my WHV is due to expire in Jan 2018.

Since stepping into this beautiful Country I knew it was where my heart was meant to be and the thought of having to leave makes me feel terrible!

I have done so much research on how I could stay, different visas etc....

Most of my background is in Office Support/EA roles, which I know is something I would not be able to get sponsored in!

I did think about doing a student visa but I do not want to have to do a course to then be facing the same scenario in 2-3 years time.

My question is has anyone been able to successfully stay and build a career after being on a Student Visa?? Also has it been super tough financially with the working restrictions??

I know if I were to do a Bachelors here it would be highly likely I would be able to stay but financially I think I could only afford a diploma...

Thank you so much to anyone that can provide advice in advance <3

Sam

Sam,

You have an option to choose a graduate visa which gives you the right to work post your education. I hope you have explore this option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I fell in love with Australia during my time on WHV as well. Fortunately, I had a strong academic background, so I was able to apply for skilled visa and become a PR without much hassle. Just like me and you, a large number of WH-makers have a desire to stay further than the 2-year limit. Basically, there's 4 major paths for that:

1) Student Visa: I'd say the vast majority of people on WHV continue their Australian adventure on a Student Visa. It is easily doable, but also has a downside, especially if one is not thinking long-term. Most people choose the most affordable course whatever or wherever that might be, perhaps attending the class once per week, while working part-time or full-time (illegal!). Most of these people stay in Australia for another year or two, but then eventually leave to their countries of origin and into the reality of life. It is not fun being a student with no direction, doing part-time jobs, having such limited money and needing to come up with a new plan even before their program has finished.

The major flaw, in my opinion, with this path is choosing the cheapest and seemingly the easiest program available. However, that's the case with most youngsters. If you love Australia and want to stay here, you need to start thinking long-term from the very beginning. Collecting nondescript and unrelated certificates is not going to get you anywhere. On the other hand, choosing the right degree-programm can be difficult as well. They are very costly and what might help you to find your way to skilled visa today may not be very helpful tomorrow. So, in the end, I wouldn't recommend choosing the long-term study option either, unless it was something you would be semi-happy doing even if you had to return to your home country.

Also, Student Visa can potentially lead to Graduate Visa.

2) Sponsored Visa (457): A few years ago, a number of my friends got a 457 visa. These days it isn't so easy anymore and in any case it requires you to have connections -- after all, someone needs to be willing to sponsor you. You might look around though, especially in rural places like Alice Springs some companies might be looking for someone skilled or semi-skilled to commit, but that's not really something you can count on. If you are active, there are no limits though. One of my friends called countless of Aussie companies after returning home and he was offered sponsorship by one of them. Luck? Sure, but he also put a lot of effort into it and miracles do happen.

3) Partner Visa: Another option, but one you can't really plan or organise. Mostly my female friends have had the 'privilege' to walk this particular path.

4) Skilled Permanent Visa (189/190/489): This is how I managed to stay in Australia. This is probably the most straightforward option, but also one that requires you to have a specific background, which one either has or has not.

So, these are pretty much your options. I have no doubt that you can stay further or indefinitely in Australia, but of course it has a price, and now it depends on you what is the price you are willing to pay. My recommendation: if your aim is to stay permanently in Oz, start thinking long-term from Day 1. Also, work your butt off, because good things only come with effort... a looooot of effort.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.