Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice, my 14 daughter is currently attending a Uk private school in paphos and loves it and will be able to take many IGSEs but what happens then ??? at 16 I dont want her living with relatives in the UK and we have 2 other children here also in private education , Where do I look for college education for her to take her A levels ?? I realise at 18 she will go away to Uni in the Uk so that doesnt matter that she will live away from us but at 16 its too young and I am already getting worried what is the right path can anyone help or give suggestions if they have been or are in the same situation :(

·
Registered
587 Posts
Need some advice, my 14 daughter is currently attending a Uk private school in paphos and loves it and will be able to take many IGSEs but what happens then ??? at 16 I dont want her living with relatives in the UK and we have 2 other children here also in private education , Where do I look for college education for her to take her A levels ?? I realise at 18 she will go away to Uni in the Uk so that doesnt matter that she will live away from us but at 16 its too young and I am already getting worried what is the right path can anyone help or give suggestions if they have been or are in the same situation :(
Most private schools on the island include GCE 'A' levels in the curriculum, and I'm suprised that this is not the case in Paphos. Tertiary education in Cyprus is currently in a great state of flux and development. Two weeks ago a new ammendment to the Tertiary Education Law paved the way for UK (and other EU) Universities to offer UK degrees in Cyprus through collaborative provisions with Cypriot colleges. I suspect there will be a rash of franchise agreements to fill the gap in the market here, as currently the state Universities only teach in Greek. Private colleges (in partnership with EU Universities) will be able to offer degree qualifications where the medium of instruction is in English, which will attract both expats and overseas students into Cyprus. If I were an 18 year old student again and had a choice to study the same degree either in an inner city UK campus or in Cyprus, I know which I'd choose! By the time your children are ready for undergraduate study there will probably be a wide choice of courses available locally. At present the main development in collaborative provision appear to be in Larnaca and Nicosia. The Cyprus Research Institute (a government sponsored project) is set to open a campus in Paphos offering undergraduate degrees, but it is very much behind schedule.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most private schools on the island include GCE 'A' levels in the curriculum, and I'm suprised that this is not the case in Paphos. Tertiary education in Cyprus is currently in a great state of flux and development. Two weeks ago a new ammendment to the Tertiary Education Law paved the way for UK (and other EU) Universities to offer UK degrees in Cyprus through collaborative provisions with Cypriot colleges. I suspect there will be a rash of franchise agreements to fill the gap in the market here, as currently the state Universities only teach in Greek. Private colleges (in partnership with EU Universities) will be able to offer degree qualifications where the medium of instruction is in English, which will attract both expats and overseas students into Cyprus. If I were an 18 year old student again and had a choice to study the same degree either in an inner city UK campus or in Cyprus, I know which I'd choose! By the time your children are ready for undergraduate study there will probably be a wide choice of courses available locally. At present the main development in collaborative provision appear to be in Larnaca and Nicosia. The Cyprus Research Institute (a government sponsored project) is set to open a campus in Paphos offering undergraduate degrees, but it is very much behind schedule.
thank you for your help, I am willing to travel to Larnaca if I have too just want the best for my kids

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ours is only a small school with 18 kids 6-16 years and no provision for A level students, I know that the international and the American acadamy offer 6 form but I havent heard great things about them and wondered if i had another 6 form /college alternative closer to paphos than Nicosia

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have heard the opposite about the International School as for A levels go. I would have a talk to them anyway to see how you and your daughter feel about it if you ahevn't already. It would be much more convenient than travelling to Limassol or elsewhere. I believe you could also have her do private lessons. My wife attended Intercollege, but she transferred on to a US university so I don't know how they handle students going on to the UK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts