Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have said this before but it bears repeating.

The collective noun for contractors is a "dearth" and not just in France. I have lost count of the number of contractors, artisans etc that I have attempted to employ only to be totally ignored. They do not answer phone messages, emails or other forms of contact; they disappear after doing part of a job and never appear again. This is true of both the native French and English licensed in France contractors.

Much has been said during the election campaign about job creation - a good start would be getting off their collective behinds and actually doing the jobs that are out there. :mad:

Just venting ;)

·
Administrator
51,989 Posts
:couch2:Ooh, I sense a story here - or rather a series of stories...

Yeah, working with (or trying to work with) French artisans can be a bit trying, even when you're a local and have been so for a long time.

One of our neighbors has a small building company and does lots of work locally. On his side, the various work rules can mess up his plans and scheduling - and he cites the difficulty of finding workers in particular trades that he needs to finish projects.

But "creating jobs" here in France usually refers to either the big companies or the government employing people in make work jobs. Going out on your own and being responsible for your own cotisations and taxes and all is not considered a desirable thing by many. I remember my mother-in-law was really upset when my husband set up on his own (something he had wanted to do for a long time). And she had a point - when you're your own boss, you lose all those nice "protections" that the rest of the labor force gets (holidays, vacations, someone else to pay the larger portion of your cotisations...)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:couch2:Ooh, I sense a story here - or rather a series of stories...

Cheers,
Bev
There's a few :rolleyes: Check the blog for more details

BTW, I was self employed for over 12 years in the UK & the US - had I treated my customers like this I would have been broke years ago.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but that was in the UK and US. "Customer service" is an oxymoron over here. It's the employee who is king!
Cheers,
Bev
I must say though that the plumber we have found is really great - he lives in the village (just moved here) and has already done a number of jobs for us. Clean tidy worker and great results.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.