Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something I've been wondering... Back in the states, I would empty my pockets of whatever change I had accumulated over the days/week into a mason jar. When said jar was full, I'd either take it to the bank or the coinstar machine and receive crisp $$$ bills, which we would do something fun with. Now, I've accumulated a ton of the eurocent coins (I tend to use the euro coins regularly), and I'd like to do something similar. Are there coinstar-type machines in France?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have seen automatic machines in some supermarkets (E.Leclerc for example). But it is definitely not something you see everywhere like in the US or UK.
Someone told me that you can take them to your bank and they will deposit the money into your account. But then that only works if you have an account with them.

·
Administrator
50,056 Posts
I haven't heard of this sort of thing here - and I think I've heard that some banks may even charge you for counting up large amounts of coins. You can always ask at your bank if they'll accept your large jar of euro-change for deposit - and if they give you one of those "ohmygawd, another foreigner!" looks, then you know the answer is either "no" or "maybe, but it's going to cost you!"
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haven't seen any of these machines in France.
Here is a tip: go to local bakeries and give them your coins. As they usually run out of coins they are glad to give you euros bills instead :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've not seen these machines in France either. The suggestion of using coins in bakeries is a good one - that's what I do, and they appreciate me for it. Similarly for newspaper kiosks, bus drivers and others who might have difficulty getting change if presented with a tenner each time.

I'm a newbie here, so I don't know the rules. Am I allowed to drift slightly off topic?

·
Registered
308 Posts
The bank you have an account at should accept your deposit whatever form it has. You can even try further and pay your taxes with it (my brother did it). But if you don't want to have your banker being mad at you, you might want to go there in advance and pick up some "shells" ie plastic tubes where you insert the coins. Then they only have to check them and weight them and that's it. I used to do it when I was a kid with francs, and I still did it later with eurocents when I was running a business.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.