Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've just been browsing this forum and stumbled across some threads about coded landings. I have been wondering for quite some time if the hand-written codes in my passport mean something.

Just to repeat my background ... I have been with my parter for 8 years now and we were married in April. I am currently in the UK on a YMS visa which expires 31st July. Prior to moving to the UK on my current visa, I used to visit my partner quite often on holidays and my partner used to visit me in Australia. We tried to see each other twice a year, but sometimes that wasn't possible. Due to work commitments and money etc it was often easier for me to come to the UK. Before my YMS visa was issued, I think I came to the UK about 5 times over a 6 year period. My last two visits had a code written in my passport, and now that I think about it I was asked quite a few questions. The first time I had a code written in my passport, in July 2010, I intended to stay for 12 weeks, however when my partner's mother died suddenly and very unexpectedly, I stayed for close to 6 months. The next time I came for a visit was October 2012 and I had a code written in then as well.

I am wondering if this is going to affect the outcome of my PEO appointment in a few weeks' time? Is this something I need to mention? I have been worried sick about it since stumbling across these threads last night, however my YMS visa was issued in 2013 within 10 days with no problems whatsoever. Is that a good sign for my spouse visa? I don't need to state that I have overstayed, do I, when I have never? I keep worrying but then I tell myself that, if it was a huge problem, I wouldn't have been granted a YMS visa?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
You should have been told if and when Code 3 landing was given, such as 'Make sure you leave on the date of your return flight,' or something. If they have have said nothing, you can take it to mean it wasn't coded at all. Did they scribble something on the back of your landing card? Even if it wasn't, the wise thing to do is to just mention that you stayed almost 6 months, much longer than the length verbally given to immigration officer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joppa,

Many thanks for your reply. Nothing was said on either occasion, just a had written code above the "leave to enter for..." stamp, with 6 months handwritten as well. Not sure about whether or not something was written on the landing card as you can never see what's going on behind that desk!

Where would I mention that I stayed almost 6 months? In person or write a letter of explanation attached to my application? And if the latter, where?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joppa. Just a post-it note or a typed letter of explanation? Is it okay to attach explanations throughout the application on the relevant section?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Joppa, do you think that something like this sounds okay?

"To Whom It May Concern,

I should like to take this opportunity to mention that I visited the UK on a holiday in 2010, arriving at Manchester airport in July of that year. The purpose of my visit was to join my partner for a holiday having just completed my first University degree. I had booked for 12 weeks and, when asked by the Immigration Officer how long I intended to stay, I gave this time frame as my answer.

Not long after I arrived, my partner’s mother died suddenly and very unexpectedly of a previously undiagnosed partner and my partner's family during an incredibly difficult period. As such I ended up staying in the UK for close to 6 months, a period of time much longer than I had originally intended and longer than I told the Immigration Officer. At the time I was living with my parents and working part time whilst at University, so I had a relatively substantial income with very little outgoings and therefore supported myself throughout my stay with the balance of my savings account.

I sincerely hope that this will not have a negative impact on my application."

I'm not really sure what else to include here ...

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
You don't sound repentant at all. Say you very much regret having stayed close on 6 months despite what you'd told the immigration officer. You had not intended to be deceitful and the longer stay only came about because of your partner's mother's sudden death.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, how about this for the final paragraph?

"Whilst I have never remained in the UK beyond the validity of a tourist visa, I very much regret having stayed close to 6 months especially after I told the Immigration Officer that it would be for a much shorter period. It was truly not my intention to be deceitful and this longer stay only came about due to my partner’s mother’s sudden death."

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again Joppa,

Sorry to bring up this thread AGAIN, but I am wondering if it is really necessary to include this letter of explanation when I am already in the UK on a YMS visa? I know it isn't considered to be a route to settlement and the FLR(M) is much stricter, but if this was a huge problem I wouldn't have even been granted my YMS visa? I am worried that by drawing their attention to it in an explanatory letter it might seem as though I am trying to hide something. I would really welcome your thoughts on this. If you think it is best to include this letter than omit it, I will of course do that.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
I would still own up. They will find out in any case if they do a bit of digging around your personal details, and it's better to be upfront than to leave it to chance that they won't notice it. The fact you have been granted Tier 5 is no indication of what may happen with your next application. If the coded landing is of no significance, they will just ignore it, but if it's something they may pay their attention to, you will be glad you have been honest and upfront. My distinct impression is that UKVI is getting ever so much stricter in assessing applications and making decisions.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, that makes sense. I thought that being granted a visa under a different category previously was a good sign (but obviously not), especially as the Tier 5 visa application asks questions like, "Have you ever been in breach of your immigration conditions for the UK?” and "Have you ever been refused entry to the UK." I answered 'No' to both those questions on my Tier 5 visa applicaiton.

Thanks so much for your help. I hope to be posting my checklist in the next day or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.