Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm planning to move with my husband to his hometown of Leeds in the UK and am slowly pecking my way through Visa logistics.
In another thread I mentioned that my husband is currently with me now in the US and does not have work lined up in the UK yet. We want to move together and have gained the support of my mother and father-in-law as co-sponsors in order to satisfy the UK Border Agency that I will be well taken care of while my husband and I are looking for work and won't need government financial support at all.
Have any of you successfully used the support of co-sponsors this way? If so, what was your experience of it? What sort of documentation did you provide with your application in order to prove this?

Thanks,
Essie

P.S. If one were to enter the UK on a tourist visa and then decide to apply for a spousal visa, I understand that they would not be able to change their status from inside the UK. However, could they simply leave to a neighboring country and re-enter after having applied? Or would they need to return to their country of origin (being the US)? If either is a possibility, would they need to remain there until the visa application is fully processed?

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
P.S. If one were to enter the UK on a tourist visa and then decide to apply for a spousal visa, I understand that they would not be able to change their status from inside the UK. However, could they simply leave to a neighboring country and re-enter after having applied? Or would they need to return to their country of origin (being the US)? If either is a possibility, would they need to remain there until the visa application is fully processed?
As I believe I explained in your previous thread, you need to apply from the country in which you normally reside which is the US. Yes, you need to remain in the US while your visa application is being considered. You don't actually have a choice, as you must submit your passport with your application which won't be returned until a decision is made.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I had a feeling that would be the answer. Any thoughts on the top part of the thread?

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
Thank you. I had a feeling that would be the answer. Any thoughts on the top part of the thread?
Co- or external sponsorship is something a lot of family migrants have to rely on to meet maintenance and accommodation requirement. For housing, the sponsors need to own or rent a property (in which case landlord's agreement is needed) which is big enough for all the occupants (overcrowding criteria) and need to put the offer in writing . They need to submit evidence of ownership/rental and details of the property as to its size (number of bedrooms chiefly).
For maintenance, they can either promise gift of money of specified amount regularly or a blanket undertaking to support them so that they won't be resorting to public funds. This will be a legally biding undertaking and the authorities can claim the money back from the sponsors in case public funds are accessed. So they need to be quite clear about what they are letting themselves in for.

You may like to know that external sponsorship may be disallowed in future when the new rules come in. We are still awaiting official announcement, but the government have said they are actively considering it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may like to know that external sponsorship may be disallowed in future when the new rules come in. We are still awaiting official announcement, but the government have said they are actively considering it.
Thanks so much Joppa! Do you know if there is a link to a news site I can go to regarding this matter?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.