Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm currently collecting together all my paperwork for the UK visa application (I'm American) and I have a few questions about what i need from my British in-laws over in England as I'm using them as co sponsors (hopefully before June!).

I plan to live there with my husband (who's with me in the US) until we find both a place of our own and jobs to support ourselves. They are also going to provide the $105 a week I would need after bills etc. Also one solicitor told me that my parents would have to "gift" me the money by doing so in front of a Lawyer. How does his work? Do they have to give me all the money upfront or can they sign a letter to say that they will promise to help pay my way?

I have the following on my list but if there is anything else I need please let me know:

Employment letters from both parent
Proof of ownership of house
Photos and description of house
Utility bills
Bank statements going back six months
evidence of contact between applicant and sponsor (would phone bills work)
"Gift" Letter

That's what i have at the moment, as i say any help would be great!

Essie

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
Essie said:
Hello All,

I'm currently collecting together all my paperwork for the UK visa application (I'm American) and I have a few questions about what i need from my British in-laws over in England as I'm using them as co sponsors (hopefully before June!).

I plan to live there with my husband (who's with me in the US) until we find both a place of our own and jobs to support ourselves. They are also going to provide the $105 a week I would need after bills etc. Also one solicitor told me that my parents would have to "gift" me the money by doing so in front of a Lawyer. How does his work? Do they have to give me all the money upfront or can they sign a letter to say that they will promise to help pay my way?

I have the following on my list but if there is anything else I need please let me know:

Employment letters from both parent
Proof of ownership of house
Photos and description of house
Utility bills
Bank statements going back six months
evidence of contact between applicant and sponsor (would phone bills work)
"Gift" Letter

That's what i have at the moment, as i say any help would be great!
All you need is a letter signed by in-laws giving you a regular gift of money, stating amount. An affidavit in front of a lawyer may help but isn't compulsory.

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
Joppa said:
All you need is a letter signed by in-laws giving you a regular gift of money, stating amount. An affidavit in front of a lawyer may help but isn't compulsory.
The amount should be in pounds. Did you mean £106 a week, minimum required for maintenance?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Joppa!

So basically a letter saying " we will give them 200 pounds a week until they find work" for example?

The solicitor did say it had to be legally binding to protect again family fall outs. Like if my mum was to change her mind after a couple of week. Is this something you've heard of?

·
Super Moderator
18,066 Posts
Also one solicitor told me that my parents would have to "gift" me the money by doing so in front of a Lawyer. How does his work? Do they have to give me all the money upfront or can they sign a letter to say that they will promise to help pay my way?
Is it your parents or your husband's parents? I believe co-sponsors can only be UK residents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also does the money that his parent have saved for us need to be transferred into our account or can it stay in theirs proir to our application?

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
Also does the money that his parent have saved for us need to be transferred into our account or can it stay in theirs proir to our application?
If it's an unfettered gift, then a regular payment already being made will strengthen your case. If it's just a safety net, i.e. only if they need the money, then no.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello All,

My husdands parents are co sponorsing with around 10,000 pounds. (200 per week for 50 weeks).

Has anyone else used a simlar amount? Bearing in mind that we will both be unemployed once we hit English soil and will be looking for work (We've already started emailing out CV's). I know everybodies circumstances are diffirent but I'm just interested.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.