Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is a ridiculous question. I can't seem to find any info. Our daughter is 11 & son 8 when we come over. In Canadian summer months we all live in shorts & t-shirts. Am I to understand that shorts of any kind that come to just above the knee are not allowed? What about in our community/compound where it is primarily expats? Can they ride bikes in shorts & sleeveless tops? For myself I plan to stock up on long flowing skirts & cargo/capris. I can't imagine no shorts especially for the children!!! I am making a packing list & want to avoid packing items we won't be able to wear. Thanks for understanding...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is it Dubai you are coming to or Saudi Arabia as no expat compounds in Dubai?? If Dubai, then I don't know where you have been told this but it's nowhere near the truth, you can wear what you want, i would say be respectful in public places but to be honest by doing that you may be in the minority as many others don't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess compound was the wrong term. Our realtor will be showing us villas where it is primarily expat living in Dubai. I was concerned over having to buy different clothes but hearing shorts & t's r fine puts my mind at ease.

I am also packing a few foodstuffs such as crystal light & splenda which I hear are hard to find. We will be over for 10days so I plan to scope out & list hard to find or expensive items. What can a say?? I'm the household planner :) My hubby would simply packhis clothes & think we r ready to go whereas I need to see how much it is to furnish the villa to see if we r better off shipping our household items, less appliances of course, vs getting a container.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
A female at age 11 to many nationalities here is a woman, not a girl anymore. As such, she will not get the free pass from being stared at by men. The tiny shorts that are popular that have a few inches of material is just not appropriate even though you will find a good many of the young teenage girls still wearing them. Would suggest capris and knee length shorts for woman, your daughter included. Tank tops that have wide straps can be worn but try to avoid doing so if going to more diverse areas. That said, probly 90% of western expats ignore they live in a islamic country and dress how they would back home, no matter where they are venturing out to. A good deal of locals and arabs will just tend to stay away from western expat areas due to this. Is quite sad that people just cant try a little bit to be a bit more modest in how they dress.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Before we came here I went online to buy shorts for my daughters with an inseam of at least 7 inches, which I consider 'ok'... Not great, but better than they are wearing in the US. They are fine everywhere for my 9 year old, but my 11 and 14 year olds either wear their school uniforms or capris when we go out to malls. Not just because I don't want them dressing that way, but because of the staring. Lots and lots of staring. It will creep them out, so be prepared.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.