Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since the house sale was finalised I have been carefully following the various utilities and my bank account to make sure we were not overcharged by any remaining direct debits. So far so good apart from the fact that all the accounts that have been closed have also closed off the internet access (Orange, EDF, SAUR, etc) so I cannot even look at final statements. That would be OK except they were all on "no paper" statements - very annoying.

Also I got almost no reponse to any of LRAR documents I sent - did get the AR but nothing else.

Mind you, it is no easier (in fact sometimes worse) here in the UK :rolleyes:

Cheers

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
My theory is that they require the LRAR because the AR really IS the only response you're going to get.

I just cancelled a journal subscription, which required a simple LR (no AR - at least not mentioned). Am waiting to see if it stops when it should (though there is no standing order on file for them to just keep taking the annual fee).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Now, there's a lesson in not signing up for paperless contracts. None of mine are paperless; apart from anything else, all the bumph they send provides fire-making material for the stove :D

h

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now, there's a lesson in not signing up for paperless contracts. None of mine are paperless; apart from anything else, all the bumph they send provides fire-making material for the stove :D

h
Luddite ;)

Reactions: Gerda

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
TUT, TUT dear EEEEEEEELS

None of mine IS paperless (because as we all know NONE is SINGULAR)

Write out 500 times.....

DejW

PS nice to talk to you just now.

h

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
TUT, TUT dear EEEEEEEELS

None of mine IS paperless (because as we all know NONE is SINGULAR)

Write out 500 times.....

DejW

PS nice to talk to you just now.
DUH! However, glad to see you're paying attention .... :D

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
My Barclays account is paperless and I just download a pdf of it every few months and just print out one copy for our files (I turn off the colour and just print grey-scale - colour cartridges cost!).

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
My theory is that they require the LRAR because the AR really IS the only response you're going to get.

I just cancelled a journal subscription, which required a simple LR (no AR - at least not mentioned). Am waiting to see if it stops when it should (though there is no standing order on file for them to just keep taking the annual fee).
Cheers,
Bev
Bev there is a difference:
  • A Standing Order is an instruction to your bank from YOU to make regular payments as and when stipulated by YOU - cancel it and they stop.
  • A Direct Debit is where you have given a third party permission to apply to your bank/Credit card company for a certain amount of money whenever. You have not only to cancel your subscription, you have to cancel the Direct Debit as well, not only with the supplier but also with your bank/CC company, otherwise even though you close the account, if the DD keeps coming through, they will still pay it and the account will become increasingly in debit! I speak from experience when a cancelled Visa card account ran up a considerable debit because the instructions to the supplier had not been received/acted upon.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
My Barclays account is paperless and I just download a pdf of it every few months and just print out one copy for our files (I turn off the colour and just print grey-scale - colour cartridges cost!).
That's fine Baldi - but why use YOUR ink and paper when there's no saving to be made by letting the Bank use THEIR ink and paper (& postage), and given how much banking costs here, I have no conscience about them contributing in a tiny weeny way to a nano-therm of heating for me. Were paperless banking to be more cost-effective, I'd subscribe, but as long as it isn't, I won't.

h

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
Have never done a direct debit neither for this particular subscription (it's for the company account, not a personal one). Always preferred to pay with a check. Guess we'll just have to see if the journal stops coming at the end of the subscription period.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Oh dear Bev, oh dear!

You not one of those infernal old ladies in front of me in the supermarket queue? They want to pay by cheque (or check), and can't find their chequebook in their enormous handbag. Then they can't a pen, then they can't find their glasses, and then, what was it?, the cashier knows her granddaughter so there's a 5 minute discussion on that....and so it goes on and on!

However, it's rather sweet and quaint that you are still preferring cheques. I thought that they were 19 century technology and were fast dying out. I'm actively trying to reduce even further the number of cheques that I write.

Checkmate!

DejW ....wearing a check shirt, I've just checked.

Have never done a direct debit neither for this particular subscription (it's for the company account, not a personal one). Always preferred to pay with a check. Guess we'll just have to see if the journal stops coming at the end of the subscription period.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I've noticed a lot of people still use cheques - and yes, it is infuriating at the check-outs - but I think it's because the banks charge, quite expensively, for cards, and the French (particularly here) being akin to the Scots prefer to hang on to their dosh and inconvenience everyone rather than make the banks richer by paying for the privilege of making other people's lives easier. Perhaps they think they're doing the great lazy-card-carriers a service by forcing them to slow down a bit .....

I think the banks would happily phase out all cheque books (which of course are free) in favour of all the TIP/Prelevement and Virement options as well as card-over-internet payments, for which they can, and do arbitrarily charge. It's also worth noting that you can put a stop on a cheque, but you can't recover a virement or prelevement, or a card payment, without a mega load of hassle.

h

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
Actually, I only use checks/cheques for the company payments. I have a chequier for my personal account, but rarely carry it with me and use it only when necessary. Have to remember to take it with me when I see the doctor, since most doctors around here do not take CB, though I am told they do in other areas. At least the veterinarian takes CB!

And Hils is absolutely right. The French are too cheap to go with these new fangled methods of payment. I know the last time I checked (which was years ago) the bank charged about 14€ to make a business payment by direct transfer. It may have changed by now, but I'm in the habit of writing out checks/cheques once a week for the company - and we already pay way too much for the company bank account with "read only" access to the account online. Given that DH is supposed to be slowing down toward an eventual retirement in a year or two, I think we'll stumble along as we've been doing.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Here in Spain, You only get a chequebook if you have a non-resident account so we all have cards or cash. They are even being phased out in UK.

G

·
I pay for everything I can with a credit card that is linked to mileage on an airline... this last year, as usual, I racked up enough miles to be able to do a round trip from Spain to California and only pay 50 or 60€ in taxes. I haven't paid full price for an airline ticket since 1997 and I made roundtrips almost every year since then.

All my financial statements are digitally downloaded and I see no need to print them out... I hardly print anything out anymore. And, any billing I do is in PDF format and sent via e-mail.

My bank does not charge for transfers in or out of the account if it is done within the EU.

And, I can't remember the last time I wrote a check.

But there are down sides... I miss writing by hand - the elegance of calligraphy, filling in the "memo" space in the bottom right corner, going to the post office, choosing beautiful stamps to mail payments, having a well ordered file cabinet with "customer's" copies... sign, the good old days.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's also worth noting that you can put a stop on a cheque, but you can't recover a virement or prelevement, or a card payment, without a mega load of hassle.

h
Stopping cheques usually involves a hefty fee but (at least with Soc Gen) I stopped a prelevement with no charge. The bank provides details of upcoming prelevements and I stopped one at that stage.

@mysticmick - I wish I could carry on with my mileage program but my Credit Card is linked to American Airlines and being US based it does not have the Chip & Pin.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Stopping cheques usually involves a hefty fee but (at least with Soc Gen) I stopped a prelevement with no charge. The bank provides details of upcoming prelevements and I stopped one at that stage.
I haven't had to pay for stopping cheques, or, indeed, stopping anything else in advance of processing.

But I meant that it's relatively easy to recover a cheque amount, even once it's been processed, but damn nigh impossible to recover a prelevement or virement that's already been effected. Sorry I expressed it badly.

h

G

·
@mysticmick - I wish I could carry on with my mileage program but my Credit Card is linked to American Airlines and being US based it does not have the Chip & Pin.
I had to do some research on Chip & PIN. It seems to have begun in the UK, but I now see that my spanish banking card has this format.

The credit card I use to accumulate airline mileage is linked to American Airlines and my credit card is issued by a US based bank. I just looked at the card and there is no chip on the front side as with my spanish banking card (the only example of Chip & PIN I have).

I don't know how the chip plays into mileage. I have and continue to use the above mentioned credit card: in France, Germany, Italy, The US, The UK, and where I live in northern Spain... all these transactions go towards miles.

As to pin numbers: Although the card came with a PIN, I do not use it. I sign for any transaction I make, with the exception of course of online purchases. I don't even get asked for a PIN any longer - the store's card reader now prints out a "vendor's copy" of the transaction and I sign it.

I have noticed that here in Spain there appears to be two ways for vendors to input credit card info. So, perhaps this is a UK change that is being integrated onto the continent.

A new card from the US is in the mail and when it arrives I'll take a look and see if the UK system of Chip & Pin has been integrated.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I first met chip n pin in Switzerland in about 1992. Whilst the retailers would accept UK cards, they were annoyed they had to work with the old paper voucher system as was still being used in the UK.

I don't know where it did actually start but I don't think it was the UK. I wouldn't be at all surprised were it France, since they do seem to get on board of latest technology much quicker than anywhere else (cf Minitel).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.