Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am currently trying to get over to NZ and one thing I am looking forward to is the wide variety of climbs that are over there! I am by no means an expert you can see on youtube jumping up the sides of rocks or racing Jeremy Clarkson up a mountain on an episode of top gear.. .. yet .. but would love to find out where people think is the best area to go climbing and camping in?
Also if you name a good climb that is quite high/tricky a quick suggestion of getting more kit/recommended kit amounts would be helpful ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats brilliant! thank you Top Cat! :)
want to get into that as soon as I can!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hi

More links to add - NZ Tramper and New Zealand Mountain Safety Council (MSC)

All these clubs are such a good way to get in touch with people with the same interests and local knowledge, I see they MSC also runs training courses

more links from this site you'll open it at Mt Taranaki (aka Mt Egmont) 2518m 8260ft, my old 'home' area. Note 'has seen more climbing fatalities than any other mountain in New Zealand' the death toll around 70 and in the last 20 years there's been many tourist deaths, it is so easy to get to from the city (New Plymouth) 25km away.

The Egmont Alpine Club runs annual 'open climbs' I found the latest report here from January 2012, some good pics and short video on that link too.

Taranaki Alpine Club Open climb

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow that place looks amazing!! is climbing allowed there or are these conservation sites off limits to that sort of activity? :)

I cant wait to get over there! the best camping and climbing I have around london is a small wood with sandstone rock which you cant go on if its been raining! (and lets face it.. its England!)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent!! Thanks Song_Si!! definately going to be joining a club when I get over there! ... but may need to get my climbing up to scratch before trying Mt Taranaki!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
^ i think it would be too unstable, they are a 'work in progress' in terms of erosion, a river can run through there in times of flood inland, ever-changing landscape.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm better not try it.. knowing my luck il be half way up.. look down and a river has appeared! got to see it though!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
some damage to a Dept of Conservation hut from the Tongariro eruption

The Mount Tongariro eruption photo gallery
View photos that show the damage to Ketetahi Hut and the Tongariro Crossing track, caused by the Te Maari Crater eruption.

Ketetahi Hut, which is closest to the crater eruption and was unoccupied at the time Mount Tongariro erupted but has suffered boulder damage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow.. thats a lot of ash!! imagine camping nearby and waking up to all that!

I watched the news videos of this eruption then saw another one about a large collection of tiny rocks floating around NZ too.. part of the same eruption?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
There has been a climbing tragedy in the last two weeks, my former home town of New Plymouth. Two students and an instructor climbing around the base of Paritutu a 505-foot rock near Port Taranaki; they were doing a traverse not far above sea level and two students were knocked into the water by waves, instructor dived in to save, but all three drowned and just one body recovered, an exchange student from Brazil.
So tragic and there will be any number of inquiries into the incident - police/coroner but that won't bring them back; read that 27,000 students have done that traverse in last 25 years without incident, but that day it appears it should never have gone ahead.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
^
Paritutu. Spoke to a friend whose son has done that traverse twice, safely. I don't accept 'bound to happen', someone maybe made a poor judgment that day, possibly the instructor who also lost his life. I've seen pics (one below, it looks insane to me) and could have been much worse it was a rough day and very difficult for helicopter rescue team to get the rest of the students to safety while they clung to the rock face

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
New Zealand's new island

I watched the news videos of this eruption then saw another one about a large collection of tiny rocks floating around NZ too.. part of the same eruption?
that's a strange one . . . would like to see a satellite image to get a better idea of size in comparison to other Pacific Islands

Friday Aug 10, 2012
A mass of small volcanic rocks nearly the size of Belgium has been discovered floating off the coast.

The stretch of golf-ball-size pumice rocks was first spotted this week by a New Zealand air force plane about 1,000 kilometres northwest of Auckland.

The rocks stretch for about 26,000 square kilometres.

A navy ship took scientists to the rocks Thursday night. Naval Lt. Tim Oscar says the rocks appeared a brilliant white under a spotlight, like a giant ice shelf.

He says it's the "weirdest thing'' he's seen in 18 years at sea.

Scientists say the rocks likely spewed up in an eruption by an underwater volcano. They don't believe the eruption is connected to the onshore ash eruption this week of another volcano, Mount Tongariro. Officials say the small rocks pose no danger to shipping.

The Defence Force says the mass of rocks stretches 250 nautical miles by 30 nautical miles.
source

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both of those photos look amazing, shame about the recent events there however I think I will have to go there sometime and climb them.

Sadly when something is done that amount of times safely it can only take a small mistake to change it to disaster which may be the cause of those deaths as you said, at least the helicopter rescue teams were close enough to help!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

there is an established climb route on the north side of Paritutu, permanent ropes in place and a relatively easy 15 minute walk rather then climb. The coast off there is a protected marine reserve, including the numerous small islands - look but don't touch. Good kayaking in calm conditions.
I've also been up to the top of the power station chimney many times- was my first place of work, and since then I worked there twice again, last time in 1996; at 650 feet high it's quite a part of the landscape; the power station is now closed and chimney crumbling - one day it'll all be torn down. No climbing! The demolition will make a good Youtube clip.
The hills in the background of this pic are the Pouakai Ranges, they merge with Mt Taranaki which would be just out of the picture.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw a couple of 'close up' photos of it but I highly doubt their validity so I didnt share them here, but I would like to know what it looks like from a sea level perspective!

I think I could spend my life climbing around NZ and still have lots more that I couldnt get through! especially if I plan to do other things than just climbing! (which I do!)

put my ITA docs in yesterday... hopefully wont take too long!! :D

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
DoC (Department of Conservation) offers a good resource for info about all the mountains, national parks and marine reserves - here's the one for Tongariro Activities including walking tracks, mountain huts and a list of Guided activities and tours
See also Summit Post site
The Tongariro Track would be the best known walk in the area - not it is currently closed as a result of the volcanic activity - see Central North Island alerts

In the distance (west) Mt Taranaki across the central North Island

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been a while since I have been here, has the volcanic activity died down or are there still concerns? :)
Hoping when I get out there I can visit some of these places before winter kicks in ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts