Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with trying to remove a cigarette ash stain from my balcony wall. A "friend" stubbed out his cigarette after smoking on my balcony and my attempt to remove the stain using a cloth and water just resulted in the stain becoming larger. Now it can be seen from a distance away and I cannot find any way to remove it. Does anyone have a suggestion? I had hoped that some heavy rain might help but months later the stain is still there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Michael, if the wall is white, try a spray containing bleach, the kind you buy to clean your shower with. That should work. Another way, regardless of the wall's color, is with the so-called "magic eraser" you can also find in most home cleaning aisles (it's a white sponge that contains a very mild abrasive and will gently scrub off most stains). Or give it a go with an old toothbrush + whatever dish soap you use. That should be able to dislodge the tar stain. If the cigarette burned through the paint, however, you may need to brush off the burned part and retouch the paint.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe the best solution is to invite the inconsiderate jerk back and hand them a brush and tin of paint
The thing is, which colour paint do I give him? If it is a fresh tin, it will look different to the colour that is already there as it is a few years since the building was painted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts