Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

not sure if i am allowed to post like this but here goes.

I am a self employed classic car mechanic and moved to SW france 6 months a go and i am really struggling for work. If any one knows of anything or anyone needing work doing, please could you pass my way?

i was lucky enough to get a "contract" for the summer months with a local rental company but since august it has been mega quiet and ... well we all need to earn a crust right.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
OK, technically you can't advertise your services here on the board - but if you're willing to take advise about how to go about looking for work (rather than direct referrals), I can probably let this stand.

First of all, you say you're self employed. Have you set up a business entity here in France? Are you advertising anywhere?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have all but finished my AE paperwork. advertising via Facebook and will be at a VW show in Soustons this weekend with flyers. I struggle with french, i understand much more than i can speak and in the past 6 months i have come on leaps and bounds. My GF has just had a baby over here and money is uber tight. We struggle with the paperwork for child benefit or anything else available?
So any advice on conjuring up some work would be gratefully received.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
OK, I sort of suspected something of that sort. One thing to know is that as soon as you get your SIRET for your AE (i.e. your registration number) you should put that number on all your brochures. People are wary of doing business with anyone who isn't properly registered. (Well, not everyone, but when dealing with a foreigner, it's particularly the case.) Displaying your SIRET proudly tells people you are on the up and up.

You might also check into your local association for the artisanat (artisans) - I think most sorts of repair work are considered "artisan" and many regions and departments have either government agencies or associations to try and promote the local artisans, including directories of businesses in the region. Can't hurt to get involved in those groups and maybe teaming up with some of the other local businesses if appropriate.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
579 Posts
Biscarrosse Plage....surely not the best place to settle if you need to work all year round? Holiday resorts are fine in the summer but once the tourists go home I wouldn't have thought that there was much scope for work. Locals go on holiday themselves at this time of year and hibernate during the winter...

Can you not move nearer to a big town or is there a reason why you chose BP?

I wish you luck, I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jennifer - i chose this place because of it's proximity to bordeaux, it's the first beach resort south of bordeaux. Biscarrosse town is busy all year round and there seems to be work available i just need to get my slice. Also, for the summer this year i was able to act as resident mechanic for a local VW hire company. Same will apply for next year too.

I went to the VW show yesterday and i had very positive feedback. I spoke to a local VW trader and he was more than happy to promote me because there are not any other local classic car mechanics. He said nearest to me is 2 hours north. Good news hopefully.

·
Banned
579 Posts
jennifer - i chose this place because of it's proximity to bordeaux, it's the first beach resort south of bordeaux. Biscarrosse town is busy all year round and there seems to be work available i just need to get my slice. Also, for the summer this year i was able to act as resident mechanic for a local VW hire company. Same will apply for next year too.

I went to the VW show yesterday and i had very positive feedback. I spoke to a local VW trader and he was more than happy to promote me because there are not any other local classic car mechanics. He said nearest to me is 2 hours north. Good news hopefully.

Glad to hear that things are looking up for you and hope it works out.

I know Biscarrosse Plage well as I save up all year to spend a week there every summer with my daughter and her family.

It's over 80 km south of Bordeaux and I don't agree that it's the first beach resort south - what about all the others between Biscarrosse and Arcachon?

Whatever, if the promised work materialises you have made a good choice, it's a very pleasant area. But if you are struggling with French, having difficulties with the paper work and finances, it was surely a big risk.

·
Registered
801 Posts
well we all need to earn a crust right.
Actually no !

As it happens I actually earn a little beer money by working on classic cars for various people and because there is a demand which has come to me rather than me seeking it out, but it's certainly not something which I need to do to live and I couldn't possibly see me making a living out of it if I did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am about 5 hours north of you near Saumur so your location is too far to travel. If, however, you run across a classic car mechanic nearer to me would you let me know. The cars in question are an early post war Bentley and a late prewar RR.

·
Banned
579 Posts
CQFD

ps Remind me of the rules??? no advertising allowed - unless it's allowed....! removal of posts bragging about "working on the black" - let's protect those who cheat...
suppression of SUBVERSIVE posts - April fish ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.