Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd give you an update on my classic Jeep and ask a question or three:

I imported my 1980(ish) Jeep from South Africa last year. As part of that process, it was recalled to Customs in Aveiro for a further inspection. The car passed with flying colours and Customs declared no import tax to pay.

Then I took it for MOT/Homolgation/Matriculation inspection that it passed (after a change of exhaust system).

I've just been sent the paperwork with the new portuguese registration number and year of manufacture etc.......... so can get the number plates made and I'm told the new Portuguese registration document will be posted to me in a few weeks time. The number plate incidentally, shows the year of manufacture are 82 - 01 indicating 1982 January.

Now for the questions:

If the year of manufacture shows as 1982 and internet research shows cars older that 25 years old are exempt from road tax......... why am I being told I need to pay E650 a year road tax?

Also, if I mothball the car in my garage and don't drive it on the public roads must I still pay that annual road tax?

Last but not least, if I convert the car to GPL/LPG and have it's emissions remeasured (these will be considerably lower once converted) should the road tax drop to a lower bracket?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Don't believe there is any concession on road tax for Classic cars,
"Vehicle tax (Imposto Automóvel) must be paid for all classic cars
Vehicles made before 1960 are taxed at a lower rate"

One of the major downsides of Matriculating is that Road Tax is charged at the rate of the year/month of Matriculation not the year of First registration.

You need to go back and query and hope that someone has made a mistake, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Road tax, as owner your liable for Road Tax whether on road or not, no SORN here.

GPL think you need to check very carefully R&R for import of classic, by converting it's no longer a classic so you might be liable to pay import duty.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
No:) would you want it any other way:):)
Problem your dealing with 3 separate agencies

Customs handle and define what if any import tax you might pay and adherence to importing regulations.
IMTT responsible for vehicle registration, so the ones you need to tackle
Financas responsible for road tax, non payment or late payment is treated as a Fiscal offence.

You or your agent really need to go and see IMTT and find out the exact position and registration date, did your agent not point this out or is he surprised?

If you've got online access to your Tax a/c worthwhile checking whether ownership has already been registered to your Fiscal Number, it would also confirm the IUC (Road tax) due.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The agent seems fairly effecient in most ways but doesn't seem to know anything about the differences between classic and modern cars........ I'll maybe call the classic car museum and talk to one of their people to see what they say.

At the end of the day, I guess if I have to pay it then that's what I'll do.......

·
Registered
446 Posts
Anymore info regarding importing classic cars and more importantly whether the annual IUC costs is based on year of import and not year of build...I have a 1977 TR7 V8 rally car and I would like to bring it with me.

Is this also applicable to old motorcycles as I have a 1990 Ducati that I would also like to bring.

I gather that if you are bringing in track/race bikes that are not registered for road use than there is no import tax nor worries about matriculation etc. or am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can only tell you about my personal experience.

They allowed me to import the car duty free. The registration process took about 6 months & cost E600 + E30 for permission to use a non standard sized number plate..... I reckon the registration process could have been done faster but my agent was as much use as a chocolate teapot and I'd never use him again.

PT says cars over 25 years of age are free of road tax. They acknowledged the age of the car on the number plate but as far as the road tax was concerned, IMTT count those 25 years from the date of registration rather than the age of manufacture.

I contacted FIVA and was told that I should appeal but that so far, none of the many appeals that have already taken place have succeeded...... So I didn't even bother. I'm sure that if I tried to appeal, I'd have to do it in Portuguese which I don't yet speak and I sure as hell wasn't about to ask the agent mentioned earlier to do it for me.

The good news is that the PT version of the AA tell me that I can submit my car to them for inspection & if it passes, they can register the car as being of historical importance & it then becomes free of road tax again.

I haven't done that yet because I'm waiting to find time to do a couple of small jobs to the vehicle before I submit it.

FWIW, the road tax amount is based on engine size & emissions. If I'd known that before I left RSA, I'd have fitted the car with a catalytic converter & had an LPG conversion done. If I'd found out after I arrived, I'd have had a cat fitted before the emissions test, but no-one, including my fidiot agent, told me that....... consequently, I had to pay the very highest band of road tax which is a tad over E773 a year.

Also FWIW, my car has the 5.9 litre AMC360 V8 engine in it.

They also made me take off my sidepipes and replace them with a standard system...... I still haven't been able to find out if ALL sidepipe systems are banned here or if mine was just too noisy...... and I have to admit, they were helluva noisy.

If I can't find out what is and isn't legal, I'll (at some point) cut them open, put in full length (quieter) baffles and put them back on the car and wait to see what happens.

So in short, you should be able to get your car in duty free (assuming it's been registered to you for sufficient time) but they will catch you on road tax..... However, if you fit a cat, it should reduce the amount of road tax they do catch you for.

I think bikes have the same rules as cars BUT as I understand it, they only allow one vehicle per person to come in tax free.

Good luck!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for that feedback, I thought that I had read somewhere that vehicles of historical importance or with a competition pedigree where exempt from import tax.

If that is the case then I will save the personal import allowance for one of the other vehicles that I have.

The motorcycles are are all homologation specials or race bikes, so perhaps they also can be exempt...I must get in contact with the Portuguese Ducati club to find out some more.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I'm not certain that the conversion would help as you might find car is no longer a "Classsic" equally theres no reduction in road tax for a GPL car and believe emmisions are taken from specs not the IPO tests

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My car had to go through the inspection, including an emissions test on tickover & then a separate loooong emissions test on a rolling road at (if I remember correctly) 120 kph.

They noted those readings & it was on them & engine size that the tax figure was set and certainly a catalytic converter would have reduced the emissions.

I'm not sure if the gas conversion would affect the classic classification or not but assuming it wouldn't affect the classification, it'd certainly reduce the emissions.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Every car I've owned here well the ones requiring IPO's all have had emmission tests as you say but that's to check their within parameters and not used to set the tax rate, if you look at banding the co2 emissions are linked to cc but if the engine size is + 2500m3 then your in top band, regardless of emissions
Tabela Imposto Único Circulação (IUC) 2011 - Tabela Imposto Único de Circulação - Imposto Sobre Veículos e Imposto Único de Circulação

GPL conversion would help your pocket but not affect road tax

It's getting the Classic Car acceptance that would, I have the feeling that although you imported as a "Classic" customs might have but IMTT certainly haven't and I would make your agent check how he actually handled registration.

This is notes from CPAA Portugals Historic Car Club on modifications, which I think would negate any chance of "classic" status if you did conversion before test.

"Modifications

Any modification, alteration or change should be avoided.
If necessary will be made ​​in the spirit of the age where the vehicle is normally used in such a way that the vehicle can be reconverted to its original condition, with the least possible effort and cost.

The modifications or changes must, in principle, limited to only those required by the authorities to fulfill strict Code of Roads, or inability to find the proper parts in the market.
Or its manufacture only be possible with unreasonable costs.

All modifications or changes must be documented so that future owners can know what the differences that the vehicle has in relation to its original condition. "

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The little I know about it is what I was told by the guys doing the matriculation vehicle test and they told me the high speed rolling road emissions test is the one they use for the road tax assessment.... As a GPL converted engine burns cleaner, (as does an engine fitted with a cat) the emissions would be lower but in my particular case, I suspect the 5.9 litre engine would have been the heaviest factor. - I'd still have liked to have the chance to try though and feel my agent should have had that knowledge and passed it onto me.

I'm told the annual emissions test is on tickover and as you say, just to check the engine is still within the parameters of pass or fail but again, even if the engine isn't allowed to run on GPL for that, a cat could make all the difference.

As for classic classification & GPL, I haven't looked into that at all but if nothing else, the GPL would probably give me a larger saving than the road tax exemption and assuming that's correct, the fuel savings from the GPL would be the deciding factor for me....... I usually try to keep the car as standard as possible but would prefer to be able to afford to use it as a daily driver than keep it parked in the barn and only take it out for high days & holidays.

I would however, try to find a way to avoid cutting a hole in the bodywork for the filler so the conversion could be removed without leaving any sign of it ever having been there in the first place.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My translator program works on the page but not on the calculator but from what I can read (and PLEASE DO correct me if I'm wrong), it seems to calculate import tax & VAT?

I've already got the car imported free of import tax & VAT and am now wanting to reduce the annual road tax from E773 to as close to zero as possible.

I rather got diverted from this quest when Susan got sick and had to go to hospital but will contact ACP again and ask if they can give me some advice as well.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Yes, it does and I understand you imported free of ISV but the Simulator as an extra also shows IUC at bottom. IUC would be the same whether free ISV or not.

I've never come across a IUC simulator because it's a very cut and dried process, engine size, emissions and year of registration being the major factors.

I would think as well as ACP for advice it is worthwhile getting the agent to check how he or Customs have imported it, whether as a "Classic" or ISV free because you owned it etc for the required time, if they indeed ratified (not sure if there should be specific forms/ documents for this) import as a "Classic" then it strengthens your argument for different IUC, my feeling with comments you've made about agent he probably didn't know or realize there's any difference and it's been imported as an ordinary vehicle, which is why you've got top band of IUC and paid extra to have a non standard number plate.

But then IMTT base all IUC on year of Portuguese Registration and getting passed that hurdle:) well good luck

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I had 3.5 classics under restoration when we moved, I ended up selling them, because I couldn't find a way around the bureaucratic jungle of not being able to MOT/IPO them and therefore not being able to supply a IPO passed certificate needed to matriculate:(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts