Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I am new to the site.
I am British living in SA and need to assist my mom claim her state pension.
She worked in the UK from from 1971 to 1980 and I don't even know where to start.
Please can someone advise me where to start the process and what I need from her to help.

She is technologically challenged :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. and is it only on line?
No where I can go in SA to sort it out?
Also my mom has her birth certificate but no record of her national insurance number?
How do I get that?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm sure that is the best source.

I like using gov.uk because things work so differently than in the US. The website usually first gives me a basic understanding of what I'm looking for, then usually provides the links to the actual agency I need to research.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Thanks for that. and is it only on line?
No where I can go in SA to sort it out?
Also my mom has her birth certificate but no record of her national insurance number?
How do I get that?
There is nowhere in SA to sort it out. You have to contact the Pension Department in the UK

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
How old is she? Since 2010, she needs to have contributed to NI for at least 25% of her working life, which varies between 44 and 50 years depending on her birthday. Those who are eligible for state pension from 6th April 2016 need a minimum of 10 full years. Current women's pension age is 62. So unless she turned 60 before 2010, she is unlikely to qualify for any state pension.

·
Registered
675 Posts
How old is she? Since 2010, she needs to have contributed to NI for at least 25% of her working life, which varies between 44 and 50 years depending on her birthday. Those who are eligible for state pension from 6th April 2016 need a minimum of 10 full years. Current women's pension age is 62. So unless she turned 60 before 2010, she is unlikely to qualify for any state pension.
One can 'top up' your own National Insurance contribution for pension purposes -

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility

The OP should check her mother's National Insurance record to see whether her mother paid enough NI contribution to qualify for an UK pension. Please see link below -

https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all - I am new to the site.
I am British living in SA and need to assist my mom claim her state pension.
She worked in the UK from from 1971 to 1980 and I don't even know where to start.
Please can someone advise me where to start the process and what I need from her to help.

She is technologically challenged :p
www[.]gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/how-to-claim

UK Government site is very good so most information is available.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
There is a time limit to when you can top up missing NI contributions. So she may have left it too late. Also Class 3 contribution is quite expensive at £14.10 a week or £733.20 a year, so it may not worth it (this depends on how long she will be claiming it, which is unknown).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.