Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was after some help/advice.

I've read up a lot on how hard it is to get into the USA just wondered if anyone had any info on my specific situation.
I currently work for the police force in the UK as a control room operator and have done now for the last 8yrs giving me good experience in the role.
I appreciate this alone would not get me a visa however my husband is skilled in a job role that potentially could get him in.
If that was the case and I went for a control room job in the area we are interested in (San Diego) does anyone know what my chances would be? I know the recruitment and training over there In my job is different but just wanted to know if its a realistic idea. From what I can tell non us citizens don't stand a chance?

Any info/help would be appreciated, thanks, Sarah

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, so if I could get into the country through my husband getting sponsored in his profession could I apply for a job and get treated as anyone else or would us citizens get the jobs first do you know?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Thanks, so if I could get into the country through my husband getting sponsored in his profession could I apply for a job and get treated as anyone else or would us citizens get the jobs first do you know?
Depending on your husband's visa you may or may not qualify for EAD - employment authorization document. It is highly unlikely that you will be hired for a job within law enforcement. Google some open positions and read through the requirements.

·
Administrator
51,624 Posts
It would depend to a huge degree to the type of visa your husband wound up with. As a dependent on an H1B, you wouldn't be able to work, full stop. If he were transferred by his employer in the UK on an L1, then you would be able to get the sort of visa that would allow you to work in the US.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would depend to a huge degree to the type of visa your husband wound up with. As a dependent on an H1B, you wouldn't be able to work, full stop. If he were transferred by his employer in the UK on an L1, then you would be able to get the sort of visa that would allow you to work in the US.
Cheers,
Bev
Thankyou for the help, much appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you would need to use the correct terminology. "Control Room Operator" equates to Emergency Dispatcher or 911 Dispatcher. This website may be of some interest to you.

Welcome to California Emergency Dispatcher Association - CAL-EDA One thing that may be a problem for you in this type of job would be your accent and trying to understand the tremendous range of accents and dialects over here.

Having spent 10 years as a Special Constable and another 10 as a Auxiliary Coastguard operator in a Search & Rescue Centre in Scotland, I can truthfully say that I would not want to do similar work here (Florida). However, that's just my view and I wouldn't want that to influence your ambitions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think if you were allowed to work here, however you got your visa, then you should be able to apply along with anyone else. You will apply via a site or in person at HR. Then if selected, prob do an oral interview and then a written exam. Your experience may help you, but alot of agencies, esp in California are not hiring alot right now. There are sometimes internal people used to fill roles, although they will go thru the whole process thru the city of where you want to work. At one point I did this process for a city job for a local police dept, ranked #1 overall, but was picked 2nd in recruitment. Just the way it goes. If there are slots, go for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts