Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is America heading for a civil war ?

Trump will not give up the presidency if he loses the election.

That said, most people in the USA are not going to accept Trump for another 4 years. In fact the whole world will not accept Trump for another 4 years.

So how will this pan out do you think ?

Civil war ?

Debate of day :)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Is America heading for a civil war ?...
Civil war? No. The right-wing fringe groups have all the guns and the left-wing is too busy getting the kids to soccer practice and music lessons, and protesting their current social cause (with a great sense of moral outrage).

But, will there be increased violence? Sadly, probably. And you can be sure the rich, white population will not be the target.

·
Administrator
48,554 Posts
For starters, take a look at Belarus. Lots of factors in common, including Putin's support of the guy in charge who won't give up power.

But Bonespurs loves watching riots and violence conducted in his honor.

Fasten your seatbelts, we're in for a bumpy flight....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Civil war? I don't think it will come to that. Trump's gun toting fans are a very loud and obnoxious minority, but if beaten at the polls will do some blustering and then fade away - I hope.

I like to think that the US overall is still a fairly civilized society. I know I live in a bubble in a liberal setting next to a large university in Austin, TX. It can be deceiving especially since I'm an eternal optimist and like to think folks here in the US have had enough. I just have to drive a few miles out in the country side to see a stark contrast of confederate flags and Trump 2020 signs. It makes me sick.

But a civil war? I surely hope not!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Civil war? I don't think it will come to that. Trump's gun toting fans are a very loud and obnoxious minority, but if beaten at the polls will do some blustering and then fade away - I hope.

I like to think that the US overall is still a fairly civilized society. I know I live in a bubble in a liberal setting next to a large university in Austin, TX. It can be deceiving especially since I'm an eternal optimist and like to think folks here in the US have had enough. I just have to drive a few miles out in the country side to see a stark contrast of confederate flags and Trump 2020 signs. It makes me sick.

But a civil war? I surely hope not!
Well, you may want to read this article over at "The Atlantic" magazine:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

·
Registered
243 Posts
And now those same Republican politicians who solemnly assured us that they would NEVER ram through a Supreme Court nominee for a Republican president in the last year of his term are solemnly assuring us that the election results will be abided by and there will be a peaceful transfer of power if Biden wins...

For some reason I don't feel reassured.

·
Registered
243 Posts
On the plus side, out here in the wilds of Maine the Biden signs are now as numerous as the Trump signs. I have hopes that Maine will go Biden (this is a pretty rural area and I am sure the Portland metro area will go Biden.) We'll see how things look in my part of Florida when I get back there in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Civil war? No. The right-wing fringe groups have all the guns and the left-wing is too busy getting the kids to soccer practice and music lessons, and protesting their current social cause (with a great sense of moral outrage).

But, will there be increased violence? Sadly, probably. And you can be sure the rich, white population will not be the target.
At the end of the day he (Ape man) would need the Army, and I can't see them supporting him.

·
Registered
325 Posts
At the end of the day he (Ape man) would need the Army, and I can't see them supporting him.
After the circus outside St John's Church on June 1 the Army top brass were very much less than supportive of Trump, and after his remarks about dead soldiers being 'losers' and 'suckers' I imagine he has seriously alienated anyone linked with the Army. But the President is the Commander-in-Chief, and in the event of a disputed election I could imagine uncertainty about where the duty might lie.

That said, I was shocked by the reports about the US Customs and Border Protection forces - their attitudes, equipment and experience, but also the sheer scale of numbers. To see them described as Trump's private army is extremely unsettling.

Here's a report in the Guardian. And yes, I know the G. has a leftish agenda but it is widely read in the US; I trust it more than I trust many other papers - about an inch more.

How is the Border Patrol seen in the US?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
After the circus outside St John's Church...
Funny. Knowing you are British, I immediately figured you were writing about some event at an English Round-About :)
How is the Border Patrol seen in the US?
The standards required to be hired as a Border Patrol officer are low. There have been several reports of politicization in the force, and while unproven, it is often perceived to be true. But, more to the point, it is not so much the officers that are troubling, it is how they are deployed and used as a general law enforcement agency. Often far from borders and often engaging in illegal checks, like stopping buses and demanding the occupants provide ID. (That is, illegal and people do not have to comply. But, many do not know that. YouTube is full of videos on the topic. For example:
)

·
Administrator
48,554 Posts
@Peasant - all that is very well and good. I gave up on a military coup quite some time ago. (Hey, the military does have some ethical standards at least!)

But the danger right now is from the mobs of thugs and hooligans who fancy themselves "Trump's Army" - there are already reports that they had gathered prior to various critical moments in both Kenosha and in Louisville, anticipating peaceful demonstrations that they could then "turn" to the type of violence that gives old Bonespurs a cheap thrill.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
For Peasant. Do you know about the Quote On feature of this forum? If you click Quote Off below a post, it will change to state Quote On. You can do this on one or more posts. Then click the general Post a Reply at the bottom of the page and all the posts you set to Quote On will appear quoted in a single editor window.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
...But the danger right now is from the mobs of thugs and hooligans who fancy themselves "Trump's Army"...
I think you have identified a key point. There have been armed militant groups in the US for a long time, even going back to the days of the "wild" west. In the 1950s anti-communist groups stored guns in their bomb shelters to fight off the communist menace. Recent years have seen the forming of militias and other paramilitary organizations. But, at least in recent, post-war, time, the focus has always been an insidious foreign enemy. There was concern for a few "subversives." But, the (J. Edgar Hoover) FBI would take care of those.

However, what has now happened is that bonespurs has stepped out in front of the militia parade and focused their attention. No longer is it just foreign menaces (like Mexicans and Moslems) that threaten us, but Democrats and liberals and voodoo groups like Antifa. What was once a leaderless collection of unconnected right-wing groups now has a publically visible presence and is starting to become a single movement. And, THAT is scary.

Reactions: Nomoss

·
Registered
928 Posts
The standards required to be hired as a Border Patrol officer are low. There have been several reports of politicization in the force, and while unproven, it is often perceived to be true. But, more to the point, it is not so much the officers that are troubling, it is how they are deployed and used as a general law enforcement agency. Often far from borders and often engaging in illegal checks, like stopping buses and demanding the occupants provide ID. (That is, illegal and people do not have to comply. But, many do not know that. YouTube is full of videos on the topic. For example: https://youtu.be/6_3dDNPwJTU )
Nah. That's more of the Chevy Chase movie isn't it?

·
Registered
494 Posts
For Peasant. Do you know about the Quote On feature of this forum? If you click Quote Off below a post, it will change to state Quote On. You can do this on one or more posts. Then click the general Post a Reply at the bottom of the page and all the posts you set to Quote On will appear quoted in a single editor window.
OMG I'm so excited, I've complained about lack of being able to multi quote so many times and no one has told me how to do this! Thank you so so so much @berkinet :D:D:D

:focus: I doubt there will be a full civil war but as someone else said increased violence sadly yes.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Nah. That's more of the Chevy Chase movie isn't it?
"National Lampoon's European Vacation," 1985 to be exact. But, that was not in relation to the Border Patrol question posed by @ToulouseRob - that was the purpose of the second clip.

The Chevy Chase clip was to illustrate my misreading of "circus" as round-about rather than as an analogy to a company of acrobats and clowns...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts