Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a greek national and currently staying in the philippines for almost a year now.

Me and my Filipino partner are together for over a year looking for ways to move to uk quickly. we stumbled upon on 2 options, 1st is the eea family permit and 2nd is the proposed civil partnership.

since we weren't able to reach 2 years yet to satisfy the "2 years durable partnership" to qualify as unmarried couple for eea family permit. we want to know we can get marry in any uk embassy or consulate here in the philippines or any part of asia to make our status legal and also to be qualified as civil partner?

for the proposed civil partnership i need not to prove 2 years durable relationship right? i need to go to uk to have a sustainable job and accommodation for both of us. my question is would any kind of job be fine for that or is there a bracket of salary that the uk embassy or consulate would regard as sustainable? is there a criterion that i need to be employed for certain length of time.

also, i need to know if we still need to process the certificate of registration. and it would be helpful if u could provide the requisites and also the waiting time for that.

we don't want to apart together anymore

thank you so much

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
i am a greek national and currently staying in the philippines for almost a year now.

Me and my Filipino partner are together for over a year looking for ways to move to uk quickly. we stumbled upon on 2 options, 1st is the eea family permit and 2nd is the proposed civil partnership.

since we weren't able to reach 2 years yet to satisfy the "2 years durable partnership" to qualify as unmarried couple for eea family permit. we want to know we can get marry in any uk embassy or consulate here in the philippines or any part of asia to make our status legal and also to be qualified as civil partner?
They don't conduct CP at UK diplomatic posts. I don't think there is any Asian country with CP provisions. What you can do is to enter into CP in UK as a visitor. You don't need anything as you are an EU national, while your partner needs to get a visitor visa for CP.
UK Border Agency | Visitors for marriage or civil partnership
It's valid 6 months, you give notice, enter into CP and get the certificate (plus a few extra copies) and your partner returns home to apply for EEA family permit. It can be done at any UK diplomatic post, so it can be somewhere nearby like France, provided he carries all supporting documents with him and complies with local procedure. He will need a Schengen visa. Permit itself is issued free, and most applications are processed within a week.

for the proposed civil partnership i need not to prove 2 years durable relationship right? i need to go to uk to have a sustainable job and accommodation for both of us. my question is would any kind of job be fine for that or is there a bracket of salary that the uk embassy or consulate would regard as sustainable? is there a criterion that i need to be employed for certain length of time.

also, i need to know if we still need to process the certificate of registration. and it would be helpful if u could provide the requisites and also the waiting time for that.
That visa is inappropriate for your case because you aren't British and you aren't settled in UK (only after 5 years living in UK).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply.

we are really aiming for the eea family permit, we actually consulted an agency and they suggested that we will get the proposed civil partnership and they also said we dont have to worry as long as i have acquired work in uk. is this true?

with your suggestion that we should get a visitor visa for CP, i would like to know how much you think we should allot money for this? do we need to support the 2 years durable relationship? or can you just tell me what are the requirements that we should have?

say that my non eea partner is not allowed to work there but can stay for 6months. would that be possible if i can apply for job or be a job seeker to exercise my treaty rights?

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
thanks for your reply.

we are really aiming for the eea family permit, we actually consulted an agency and they suggested that we will get the proposed civil partnership and they also said we dont have to worry as long as i have acquired work in uk. is this true?
No. I wish these people don't spread lies while taking money. Your partner can NOT get prospective CP visa because you are neither British nor settled in UK.

with your suggestion that we should get a visitor visa for CP, i would like to know how much you think we should allot money for this? do we need to support the 2 years durable relationship? or can you just tell me what are the requirements that we should have?
There is no requirement other than your partner has enough money to travel to UK, get CP, stay and return. If your partner is staying with you, as I presume, write a letter offering hospitality.

say that my non eea partner is not allowed to work there but can stay for 6months. would that be possible if i can apply for job or be a job seeker to exercise my treaty rights?
Your partner can work once an EEA permit is issued. You should just state you are looking for work in UK. You need to have savings to show you don't become an undue burden on the UK government.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks so much for enlightening me on this.

it's really hard to find a good agency here and searching already here in cebu but i just couldnt find any that could help us. do you know any around here that has expertise on this?

if we could register the eea family permit in france, do you think it would be easier to apply here in the philippines or in the uk?

in connection with the restriction that a non eea family member shouldnt intend to take paid or unpaid employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public. And my partner currently doesn't have job, does that matter?

do we need to have wedding booking, even before we can register?

thanks so much in advance

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
thanks so much for enlightening me on this.

it's really hard to find a good agency here and searching already here in cebu but i just couldnt find any that could help us. do you know any around here that has expertise on this?
This is the best source of advice and it's free!

if we could register the eea family permit in france, do you think it would be easier to apply here in the philippines or in the uk?
I don't understand you rquestion. You don't register your EEA permit in France - you apply for it after you've concluded CP in UK. With Schengen visa and cost of accommodation, it may be easier and cheaper just to fly back to the Philippines and apply for permit there.

in connection with the restriction that a non eea family member shouldnt intend to take paid or unpaid employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public. And my partner currently doesn't have job, does that matter?
That's just for the visitor visa. When granted EEA family permit, your partner can work in UK.

do we need to have wedding booking, even before we can register?
Just have a provisional booking for your CP and reception for the visitor visa.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joppa: This is the best source of advice and it's free!

wow! that's great! but im not so confident to process everything alone. if it's not too much to ask. can you also hand me the documents needed that me and my partner should have to support the requirements of visit visa of marriage?

Joppa: I don't understand you rquestion. You don't register your EEA permit in France - you apply for it after you've concluded CP in UK. With Schengen visa and cost of accommodation, it may be easier and cheaper just to fly back to the Philippines and apply for permit there.

does that mean that my partner should have a return ticket to philippines? say that his visa is granted, he can stay in uk upto 6months. can my partner get a return ticket on the date his visa will expire? or do you suggest that it should be earlier than that?

Joppa: Just have a provisional booking for your CP and reception for the visitor visa.

can we do the provisional booking when we are there in uk already?

i apologize i have so many inquiries and questions, we just want to make it right the 1st time and go to uk the soonest possible.

thanks so much
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
Joppa: This is the best source of advice and it's free!

wow! that's great! but im not so confident to process everything alone. if it's not too much to ask. can you also hand me the documents needed that me and my partner should have to support the requirements of visit visa of marriage?
What you need are:
Return ticket to Philippines or onward ticket to France (explain your partner will be applying for EEA family permit there).
Your partner's bank statement showing healthy balance to finance the trip.
Letter from you offering free board and lodging to your partner.
Provisional booking for CP (or just appoinment with registrar) and/or provisonal booking for a reception venue, cars, dress hire, photographer etc.
See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/out-of-country/visitors.pdf. Some of the documents listed may not be needed, but it gives you an idea.

Joppa: I don't understand your question. You don't register your EEA permit in France - you apply for it after you've concluded CP in UK. With Schengen visa and cost of accommodation, it may be easier and cheaper just to fly back to the Philippines and apply for permit there.

does that mean that my partner should have a return ticket to philippines? say that his visa is granted, he can stay in uk upto 6months. can my partner get a return ticket on the date his visa will expire? or do you suggest that it should be earlier than that?
Well the sooner he returns home or travels to France after CP, the sooner he will receive his EEA permit, which enables him to live in UK and work. So no need to wait till his visa almost expires.

Joppa: Just have a provisional booking for your CP and reception for the visitor visa.

can we do the provisional booking when we are there in uk already?
If you are trvelling ahead of your partner to UK, you can make a provisional booking then and let him have details. If you hope to travel together, just make contact with a reception venue and get something in writing. Most places insist on a non-refundable deposit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with the provisional book for CP can this be done here in the Philippines? is that really necessary that we have the wedding details here in the philippines?

won't that be a ground for "marriage of convenience" if my partner will process the eea family permit right after we get our civil partnership?

moreover, can i as an eea member exercise my right to work and live there before or after the registration of our civil partnership? what are the documents that i need to show?

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
with the provisional book for CP can this be done here in the Philippines? is that really necessary that we have the wedding details here in the philippines?
What you need to provide for visitor for CP visa is an indication of when the CP ceremony is to take place in UK. This can just be a provisional booking for a venue, reception etc with receipt for deposit.

won't that be a ground for "marriage of convenience" if my partner will process the eea family permit right after we get our civil partnership?
No, provided you show sufficient evidence of genuine and committed relationship leading up to CP.

moreover, can i as an eea member exercise my right to work and live there before or after the registration of our civil partnership? what are the documents that i need to show?
You are free to live and work in UK as an EU national. There is no document to show other than your passport.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What you need to provide for visitor for CP visa is an indication of when the CP ceremony is to take place in UK. This can just be a provisional booking for a venue, reception etc with receipt for deposit.

i think it would be so hard to book already the wedding schedules and details without having the visa yet. i don't think so that the hotels, photographers and alike would allow us to give reservation if we would say that it would be tentative and ofcourse, we would already give down payment.

No, provided you show sufficient evidence of genuine and committed relationship leading up to CP.

generally speaking it would then be like we would be proving a durable partnership that this relationship is in 2 years or more

You are free to live and work in UK as an EU national. There is no document to show other than your passport.
does this mean that i need not to show also how much i have ? or won't the immigration officer ask the purpose of my stay in uk?

thanks so much for helping with all of these.

more power

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.