Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My and my Australian fiancée was planning on applying for a fiancée visa next month.
But we thought it would be a nice idea to get married in her place of birth as we will be living in mine.
As we are a same-sex couple a marriage wouldn't be legal in Australia but a civil ceremony would.
So my question is if we have a civil ceremony over in Australia, could she come back with me and we apply for the marriage visa (well I think it's to join a settled person or something) while she is here on a visitor visa or does she have to apply for that while not in the UK?

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
She has to apply from her country of residence. Can't apply for a settlement visa whilst on a visitor visa.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, ok .. Back to the fiancée visa then! It's annoying that we have to get all this information for the fiancée visa then do it all over again for the marriage visa!

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Why can't you just travel separately back to the UK after your civil ceremony in Australia? You don't need a visa to get married in Australia, and 90% of UK settlement visas from Sydney get processed within 30 days. You wouldn't be apart for terribly long whilst she awaits the decision on a spouse visa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.