Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am just here to ask few questions about the civil partnership visa application in the UK for my self as I am Srilankan National and I came to UK for studies. My age is 21 and my partner’s age is 52 .
We met in April 2011 and started living together by this April 2012 after completion of my studies. We got married by 15 May and now we are preparing the application to be sent.
We seek advice from a lawyer about our case which she thought is easy and straight forward and should have sent by ourself though she charged us fortune of £600 for nothing.
We have couple of questions on which we are attaching the following documents and would ask if we need to change any document in any case or anything else we can attach with ?
-2 Passport size pictures
-Complete Application form
-My Srilankan Passport + My Parnter ‘s British Passport
-Our Civil Partnership Certificate
-My Acadamic IELTS ( Listening 6.5, Reading 5.0, Writing 6.0, Speaking 6.0 and overall 6.0)
-My Birth Certificate (Q: It was issued in Dec 2010 so is it still alright to be submited ?)
-Pictures of us wherever we have been together, hotel bookings, Cards, Friend’ statements and Council Tax bill
- Documents of house which has been properly owned by him
- His Bank Statement containing enough funds, He has his own business
Q: Lawyer asked us to write cover letter to UKBA about the application, so we are wondering what can we write in our statement ? and how and who do we have to address ?
Q: As I came here for studies and I completed my studies so do I need to attach something relating to that aswel or not and if yes so what ?

I shall be very grateful if you can please answer my questions and if something else you may share us would be a great help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I can't answer any of the student-related questions but I know there are others here who soon will. :)

We recently applied for the FLR(M) visa (Further Leave To Remain) and I'm assuming you are applying for this too because you're applying from within the UK? If so, you also need to enclose one passport-sized photo of your partner too, add your full names to the back of each photo and then enclose them in a small sealed enevelope, to be attached to the application.

If your partner has been involved in any prior marriage or civil partnership, he'll also need to provide divorce/disssolution documents to prove they were ended before you became civil partners.

Other than those two points, I think you have your documentation.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Q: Lawyer asked us to write cover letter to UKBA about the application, so we are wondering what can we write in our statement ? and how and who do we have to address ?
On the covering letter, you basically need to write a little about your relationship (how you met, what your feelings are (ie how important it is to be together) and what your hopes are for the future. It's not something absolutely imperative, but it's your chance to talk about the two of you as a couple in a way that the application form leaves no hope for. You can address it to "Dear Entry Clearance Officer" and add it to the top of the pile of your papers.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Q: As I came here for studies and I completed my studies so do I need to attach something relating to that aswel or not and if yes so what ?
This is where I AM guessing! I would imagine any paperwork connected with your original entry clearance (as student) into Britain, the place you're studying and the course.

-My Birth Certificate (Q: It was issued in Dec 2010 so is it still alright to be submited ?)
Yes, many people have to obtain a new version if they can't find their original. As long as it's a proper and officially issued certificate, that's fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't answer any of the student-related questions but I know there are others here who soon will. :)

We recently applied for the FLR(M) visa (Further Leave To Remain) and I'm assuming you are applying for this too because you're applying from within the UK? If so, you also need to enclose one passport-sized photo of your partner too, add your full names to the back of each photo and then enclose them in a small sealed enevelope, to be attached to the application.

If your partner has been involved in any prior marriage or civil partnership, he'll also need to provide divorce/disssolution documents to prove they were ended before you became civil partners.

Other than those two points, I think you have your documentation.
Yes I am in UK and will lodge the application from the UK. My partner never got married before so I think he does not need to show anything being single. And about the current status if I do send my final certificate from my institute + a letter of attendance so is it alright ?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Unfortunately, I have no knowledge about people switching from student to fiancée visa. What you suggest sounds fine to me, but I really have no knowledge in this. Hopefully, Joppa or someone else highly knowledgeable will be able to answer though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I have no knowledge about people switching from student to fiancée visa. What you suggest sounds fine to me, but I really have no knowledge in this. Hopefully, Joppa or someone else highly knowledgeable will be able to answer though.

and do you know when will they answer it ? because its been quite long to get answer by some one els e?

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Only a short reply as I am typing on London-bound train!
Your documents look ok. Cover letter should come from each of you separately, describing your relationship from start, any shared interest or outlook, and hope for future. You start your letter as 'This is a letter of introduction for my application for FLR as civil partner.' And your CP should begin as 'This is a letter of support for my partner's application for FLR.'

I suggest you pay around £300 more for same-day premium service which will mostly be decided within 24 hours, and often while you wait.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only a short reply as I am typing on London-bound train!
Your documents look ok. Cover letter should come from each of you separately, describing your relationship from start, any shared interest or outlook, and hope for future. You start your letter as 'This is a letter of introduction for my application for FLR as civil partner.' And your CP should begin as 'This is a letter of support for my partner's application for FLR.'

I suggest you pay around £300 more for same-day premium service which will mostly be decided within 24 hours, and often while you wait.
Thanks for the precious information.
I have two more questions to ask
1- Do I need to send my own bank statement as well where my sponsor is already providing his bank statement for the funds and finance of support ?
2- My partner own a house of two bed rooms and he is a bit confuse about the document to proof that he is the sole owner of the house and he has no one renting there?

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Thanks for the precious information.
I have two more questions to ask
1- Do I need to send my own bank statement as well where my sponsor is already providing his bank statement for the funds and finance of support?
If you have an account with money in it, yes. It will be added to your financial resources.

2- My partner own a house of two bed rooms and he is a bit confuse about the document to proof that he is the sole owner of the house and he has no one renting there?
If still paying mortgage, then mortgage statement. If owing outright, mortgage completion statement or copy of deed from Land Registry. Attach a letter from your partner about no tenants etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have an account with money in it, yes. It will be added to your financial resources.

I have an account but it does not have sufficient money in it, so do I still have to send ?

If still paying mortgage, then mortgage statement. If owing outright, mortgage completion statement or copy of deed from Land Registry. Attach a letter from your partner about no tenants etc.
Thanks he has got the mortgage completion letter and I will ask him to write a letter about no tenants.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.