Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody sucessfully secured a job in civil engineering, any discipline, like structural, geotechnical, steel, construction, marine, port and habor et al.. in Australia recently? Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no civil engineer on earth?

Reactions: Manjil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi!
I am a Civil Engineer and have been searching for a job in Australia for the past 4 months and so far the response is very low. It seems that local experience is very essential to secure a job! I don't know how to get the local experience if no one is willing to take you! Market is also very slow now and all information about SKILLS SHORTAGES is BS, trust me!
Are you in Australia already?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi.
I have applied as CE and expecting to b thr by end f year... by background is structural engg. Can u tell m the status design jobs thr? Also is maket for CE getting worse or better?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello;

Basically i am civil engineer from India with more than 10 years experience in the field of Construction Planning and Scheduling for residential building's and other infrastructure projects and expertise in planning and scheduling software's like Primavera and as a passion i will be teaching planning, monitoring and controlling for construction projects to students. i have worked in middle east countries also.

Now i am planning to migrate to Australia by applying for my PR from india , as i can see lot of jobs in Australia for construction professional especially for construction /mining planning and scheduling engineers

As i am ready to work any where in Australia , so i want to know before a head

can i get any full time job in my professional (Construction Planning and Scheduling)..

or

if not can i get any part time in my same profession (Construction Planning and Scheduling) near any construction company...
or

can i get any job like construction supervisor at construction companies

or

The most worst case is after landing in Australia can i get any part time jobs in any field to survive or support my self until things go better and i get my professional job.

or as i heard from this forum that """Australian jobs are dead in construction..."""

My most concern is the least can i get any part time jobs so that i can start a new life and slowly i can apply for professional jobs..

can i teach/ train in any organization or students by giving the Advertisement about construction planning ,scheduling, primavera... as i have seen lot of companies teach primavera in Australia........ if yes where i need to register my certificates..

regards

·
Registered
226 Posts
I landed a job as a PM for NSW operations for a building material supplier, and I have been here for three weeks. My profile does include a US Masters, and a wide range of international experience which could have possibly made a difference. I begin work in a week - and no I am not working for a lowball salary. I can tell you that there aren't too many opportunities. I targeted all companies big, small - anything I could find.

* Send out as many resumes as possible -
* Not all positions are advertised on job portals - you need to apply to all companies individually.
* I had over 5 personal interviews, and 2 job offers - canceled one interview, turned down one offer.
* if a company is small please don't assume that they can't afford to pay you. It comes down to your negotiation skills.
* Residential and fit-out markets are doing better in the Sydney and Sydney suburban areas.

I mentioned this in other threads - it comes down to how well you sell yourself.

Good luck guys - if I can do it - so can you!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I landed a job as a PM for NSW operations for a building material supplier, and I have been here for three weeks. My profile does include a US Masters, and a wide range of international experience which could have possibly made a difference. I begin work in a week - and no I am not working for a lowball salary. I can tell you that there aren't too many opportunities. I targeted all companies big, small - anything I could find.

* Send out as many resumes as possible -
* Not all positions are advertised on job portals - you need to apply to all companies individually.
* I had over 5 personal interviews, and 2 job offers - canceled one interview, turned down one offer.
* if a company is small please don't assume that they can't afford to pay you. It comes down to your negotiation skills.
* Residential and fit-out markets are doing better in the Sydney and Sydney suburban areas.

I mentioned this in other threads - it comes down to how well you sell yourself.

Good luck guys - if I can do it - so can you!

sir,
I have done my B.E. in CE from Maharashtra and currently working as an assistant engineer (site execution in Oil & Gas industry) with 2+ years of experience. Could you please guide me w.r.t how to get into the international market? (My elder brother is already a pr in Australia and lives in Melbourne.)
thanx :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody else supply positive information on his job hunting process, including first application, cold call, agent contact, employer contact, business development,et al.

·
Registered
115 Posts
any new inputs friends? or a civil engineer is in a compromising position in aus?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Civil engineer -Australia queries

Hey am akhil john from in india just passed civil engineering last year and am trying to come to austraila through visa 489(family sponsored, own brother in Adelaide ) or maybe in student visa
i like to have some information

1- Job opportunities for civil engineering jobs in Australia especially in brisbane ?

2-Is it nice to study any master in civil engineering in Australia for better job opportunities(my brother tells its a waste of money and time (in australia). i dont know how the job market works for civil engineering fields in australia

3 I have enough time, likely to do software packages in a institution next month(Auto cad,revet,3d max,stadd pro,primvera are some options) cany any civil engineer suggest above or another software package that may have useful in Australia .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
i am also planning for 489 visa .will complete the requirement of 60 points if my indian b.tech is positively assessed by EA.
But there is one problem as i have no work experience and currently pursuing MBA so what i will write in my CPD and CV?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts