Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First post here and looking forward to chatting with you all.

We are a family of three (myself, wife and 2 year old) living in Brisbane, Australia. We are looking for a major lifestyle change and Spain at the moment is one of our top choices.

We run our own online store, so fast internet and business facilities are a must. Other things that are important are weather - needs to be very warm and bearable winters, fun and activities - essentially the lifestyle change we are looking for, something new to do everyday for family, for ourselves and with friends. Plus the usual, must be very safe, good hospitals and so forth.

Really keen on hearing everyone's suggestions!

Thank you.

·
Registered
785 Posts
hi all,

first post here and looking forward to chatting with you all.

We are a family of three (myself, wife and 2 year old) living in brisbane, australia. We are looking for a major lifestyle change and spain at the moment is one of our top choices.

We run our own online store, so fast internet and business facilities are a must. Other things that are important are weather - needs to be very warm and bearable winters, fun and activities - essentially the lifestyle change we are looking for, something new to do everyday for family, for ourselves and with friends. Plus the usual, must be very safe, good hospitals and so forth.

Really keen on hearing everyone's suggestions!

Thank you.
barcelona?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Only Canary Islands if you want decent winters, it is the sub tropics just like Brisbane. You might find the time zone not good for working though if your web stuff is in oz and you need to answer requests.
Best cities for me are bcn, serville, Madrid, Valencia but all too cold in winter. Only one place to be in January, Brisbane or the lucky Canary Islands :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am a 1st generation Argentine American who will be married to a Dutchman moving to Spain in July 2014 with our very young family and so far the cities that have us interested are in the Alicante region: Xabia/Javea and Moraira.
Because we have two small children (3 and almost 2 at time of move) who we would like speaking predominantly English with Spanish a close second but also would like to expose as much as possible to Dutch we're looking at places that have International Schools. Xabia/Javea has two. Moraira is a smaller, quite lovely and historic fishing village but near Xabia/Javea (however closer to the airport in Alicante) that naturally has turned touristy but having lived in Miami for a few years we got pretty well used to the "snowbird" season so that shouldn't bother us much.
Now when you say "very warm" again, having lived in Miami where we were elated at being at the beach with our baby son back in 2011 on New Years Eve I can understand the desire for warmth but being by the bottom east corner of Spain yet not quite catching the shadow of the mountains I believe this area will be warm enough for us. Can't speak for you though ;)
Let me also mention I DO NOT know this area from experience, simply from research however this is where our target currently lies so I thought it might be useful to toss it in the pile of suggestions for you :)
Best of luck with everything!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Never forget Malaga, wonderful and beautiful city....

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
My Father lived in El Portet, within walking distance of Moraira, he needed heating during the winter months.

I liked the area very much, but the pull of the Canarian archipelago was just too much, and that is where I am now.

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, would be my choice, if I was in your position, especially for the children's education, see link

AMERICAN SCHOOL OF LAS PALMAS | College Board | International

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Do either you or your partner have an EU background?
I only ask as it would make getting permission to live and work in Spain full time a much easier task and there are lots of requirements to be met and red tape to wade through. I'd be checking that out first.

The further south you go the better you will be for climate, the Canaries are probably the best for winter temps otherwise most of Spain in winter is similar to southern Australia's winters. It's a similar climate really.
That said we are having a pretty good spell at the moment but I expect it to get cold at some point.

·
Administrator
36,518 Posts
Do either you or your partner have an EU background?
I only ask as it would make getting permission to live and work in Spain full time a much easier task and there are lots of requirements to be met and red tape to wade through. I'd be checking that out first.

The further south you go the better you will be for climate, the Canaries are probably the best for winter temps otherwise most of Spain in winter is similar to southern Australia's winters. It's a similar climate really.
That said we are having a pretty good spell at the moment but I expect it to get cold at some point.
oh yes.... the visa issue...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts