Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

I would like to ask a query.

I have a family member who has lived in the UK for almost 22 years she never had the chance to apply for a UK passport however she has the right to live here.

When she applies for Citizenship certificate/UK passport would she need to take the "Life in the UK test" and pass the English test even after she has lived here since she was little?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Morning,

I would like to ask a query.

I have a family member who has lived in the UK for almost 22 years she never had the chance to apply for a UK passport however she has the right to live here.

When she applies for Citizenship certificate/UK passport would she need to take the "Life in the UK test" and pass the English test even after she has lived here since she was little?

Thanks in advance!
Yes.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Well, not in every case. It depends on how she obtains British citizenship. If it through naturalisation, yes, Life in the UK and English test pass is required. But if she is eligible for registration, no, test isn't required. In most cases, she will have to attend citizenship ceremony.
So to answer your question fully, you must tell us the circumstances of her stay in UK, her parentage etc.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, not in every case. It depends on how she obtains British citizenship. If it through naturalisation, yes, Life in the UK and English test pass is required. But if she is eligible for registration, no, test isn't required. In most cases, she will have to attend citizenship ceremony.
So to answer your question fully, you must tell us the circumstances of her stay in UK, her parentage etc.
Thanks Joppa for your reply.

All of our family members have a British UK passport, but she doesn't because she did (silly crimes) as a teenager which prevented her from getting one. She has been here since 1992 but has not obtained a passport yet. Does that help?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I think you need to tell us where the parents were born and when, also her date of birth and where might help...

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
So her parents were naturalised in UK after she was born? Then she needs to be naturalised herself and will need Life in the UK test; and English test pass at B1 or better unless she has a UK degree.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So her parents were naturalised in UK after she was born? Then she needs to be naturalised herself and will need Life in the UK test; and English test pass at B1 or better unless she has a UK degree.
I think that is ridiculous as she has been here for so long and knows English perfectly.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Can't. It was a while ago. But google English practice test and you may get something. That's what I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.