Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My whole family has PR and we have to still struggle thorough another year to get our citizenship. Would it be possible for my wife and kids to return to the UK while I remain to get my passport..... What will her (and my kids) entitlement be if I return (ha ha) in say 10 years.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
none.. :)
stay put for a bit halo.. get the passports and then go once and for all..

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
its merely a reminder what ur dad was like when he was ur age :p

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its merely a reminder what ur dad was like when he was ur age :p
All I know is that the missus will be upset..... Please tell me we can leave after 2 years before the passports? (and can do the who PP things at any-time if needed)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i think for the passport/citizenship u need to be in australia for all of 4 yrs out of which 12 months has to be with any gap, i am not sure, did u read the condition for pp? and the rules keep changing,

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think for the passport/citizenship u need to be in australia for all of 4 yrs out of which 12 months has to be with any gap, i am not sure, did u read the condition for pp? and the rules keep changing,
I know I need 2 years on my PR.... But the Q: is - Once I have 2 years can't I just GO....? Do I have to do the citizenship thing?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
if u dont want to be the citizen, u dont hv to stay.
shoot, its been 2 yrs already.. i remember when u came to australia, u wrote from the airport.. wow, time fliws

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope.... Its been ONE year.... I still have to do another one!
So I can leave and come back at anytime? (After the two years)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
wait, this is confusing, u want to go, come back later and then stay back for the citizenship.. u are on PR, so that makes it 5 yr visa. sure u can go, come back anytime during the valid visa and then stay on for the citizenship

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NO

I thought I need to stay for two years (in the five) to be eligible for a PP. (that takes time etc.) so If I have my two years and I leave and come back in 20 years (for example) can I then apply for a passport i.e. I don't lose my PR due to me staying the two years required.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
u got to be a citizen for the passport (i think). let amaslam reply for this one. since your visa is valid for 5 yrs u can enter australia as and when in these 5 yrs, once it expires, everytime u go out of australia, u got to have either a valid visa to come back or a RRV (resident return visa) to enter again.

as for valid pp i am sure no country gives pp to non citizens.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK - So if I leave and get a RRV - I can come back in 20 years and do the whole "I swear on the back of a stuffed kangaroo thingimajig" and then get a PP IF required?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hahaha, RRV isnt valid fr 20 yrs, wait lemme search for the link :p

·
Registered
8,429 Posts

·
Registered
8,429 Posts

·
Registered
8,429 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
As far as I'm aware, if you have PR and then get citizenship, you can come and go as many times as you like. If you have PR but not citizenship then if you go without getting citizenship and your PR runs out, you'll be just like any other Joe Schmo with no entitlements and would need a visa to re-enter the country.

The RRV would kick in if you left after 2 years but weren't returning before your PR expires. After that you become Joe Schmo.

So, suggest you bite the bullet, get your citizenship and then do what you need to do. Surely you can hack another year here?

Dolly

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's all I need to know.... Many thanks

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE people - Australia is a GREAT place, its just not for me.... If England goes sour - I would suck it up and come live in the 80's again... perhaps the next year is the year I start loving neon socks again.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Mate, Australia isn't for everyone. I'm just sorry that it isn't working for you.

Different strokes for different folks an' all that.

It'll still be here if you change your mind!

Dolly

1 - 20 of 25 Posts