Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My husband obtained ILR earlier this year and I have recently started researching what the requirements are for the citizenship process. We will be applying based on marriage to a British citizen. However there are a few queries that I have, which I hope someone may be able to help me with please:

1) How much evidence is required from the applicant's spouse this time around? For the previous visas, we had to submit evidence of my employment (including my wage slips and bank statements etc) as well as his own. I could not see anything that mentioned evidence from a 'sponsor' this time around. I just want to check that I haven't missed anything out rather than just assume it is not required. From what I can see, the only evidence that is related to myself is that I need to prove that I a British citizen and that we are married.

2) Am I right to assume that there is no need to prove our finances, and that we do not need to provide letters addressed to both of us jointly this time? I could not see any mention of the financial requirement or of cohabitation evidence.

3) There was mention of proving residence in the UK for 3 years. Will I need to provide monthly rent payment receipts for at least 3 years? For the previous visas we did this for a 6 month period, but 3 years worth seems like a lot. Will a tenancy agreement and a letter from our landlord confirming he has lived here for over 3 years be sufficient by itself?

4) In one part of the guidance it mentioned providing evidence of his employment in the form of P60's, payslips and bank statements for the 'relevant period relied upon'. Does this mean that he will have to provide 3 years worth of bank statements and payslips? For the P60's it won't be so bad because it is once per year, but the others are monthly, which seems a bit overkill. However if that is what they really require then I would rather provide it.

5) The guidance mentions including the same ID that you used when you sat your life in the UK exam. However the ID he used was his old BRP from before he gained ILR. Therefore he does not have that exact BRP anymore. Will his ILR BRP be acceptable for this instead?

6) I know we need to list the time he has spent outside of the UK to prove it does not exceed a certain amount. However when counting the days, do we count the days where he caught his flight leaving the UK and returning to the UK, or just the full days he was out of the country in between? For example if he caught a flight out on the 1st Sept and flew back on the 7th Sept, then is this counted as the full 7 days or just the 5 in between?

7) I'm also after a bit of info on the referee process. We will be applying online, but I was looking through the paper application form for ideas of the questions they will ask. Is there a form somewhere that I will need to download and get his referees to fill in, and if so where do i get it from? Or will it be a completely online thing where the referee has to go to some link to fill something out?

8) Also related referee section, I saw that there were passport photos required for the paper form. Is this required for online applications as well and do they need to be physically printed photos? If so is 2 photos (1 per referee) enough or does the overall application need a photo as well?

Sorry that there is a lot of questions. Many thanks in advance or your time. I really appreciate any help given.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have read through the guidance and things on the Gov.UK website. My queries are what I am not sure about after going though it, so I was hoping that there might have been someone that has already gone through the process that knew some of the answers.

The form I refer to in my questions is this one: https://assets.publishing.service.g...attachment_data/file/893024/form-an-06-20.pdf

Although we will not be using that particular form, but will be following the online process in order to apply, I thought it was worthwhile to still have a look through that form for ideas on the likely questions that we would be asked. I am trying to get the best understanding of the whole process as I can before we start applying.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
I looked at the form too. It has a section - Supporting Documents - but the section numbers referred to have no tie up to the actual sections in the form.
However, the guidance notes do refer to providing documentation to prove payment of National Insurance contributions, such as P60's, paysliips, employer letter etc. Also proof of identity such as passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate
Sorry, can't be of much help as the online form appears to be in a different format. You'll just have to provide what supporting documents you think are relevant.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've started to complete the online form for this (spouse of British citizen). It is much more intuitive than the paper form. For example, it does not ask you to specify the number of days you were out of the country, it only asks for date of departure and date of return.

At the end, it generates a checklist of documents (as with ILR). It does not ask me for proof of income/employment or any cohabitation evidence. With other things, it asks for my passport (with a stamp showing I've been here for more than 3 years), my spouse's passport and marriage certificate. Also BRP showing ILR. The checklist states that if I'm unable to provide my passport which I used to enter the country, then I need to provide other evidence to show I've been here for more than 3 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've started to complete the online form for this (spouse of British citizen). It is much more intuitive than the paper form. For example, it does not ask you to specify the number of days you were out of the country, it only asks for date of departure and date of return.
Thanks, that sounds like this part of the application will be simpler than I expect in that case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts