Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends

My 189 PR was approved on May 2016 and I made my first entry in Aug 2017 to validate the PR. And as per the grant notice, I can read "Must Not Arrive After 18 May 2021".

Due to my other personal commitments, I have to delay my move for couple of years. However my ultimate goal is the Australian Citizenship.

Hence wanted your advice on the situation:

Question 1: My earliest move to Australia would fall on July 2019.
How long should I have to wait to apply for citizenship after I move in ? Until I get my Citizenship, will I be still able to live in AUS as "Permanent Resident" even post "18 May 2021" ?

Question 2: If I arrive during early of year 2021,will I still be able to live in AUS as "Permanent Resident" post "18 May 2021" ? Will I still be able to apply for Australia Citizenship ?

Kindly help bros at the earliest.

Regards
Boj

·
Registered
110 Posts
You need to stay continuously for 4 years before you can apply for Aus citizenship.
Even after 2021, as long as you are not Exiting Aus, you can stay indefinitely. However if you want to exit & re-enter Aus, you need to apply for Resident return visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bhagat.dabas

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
small correction, @subz.finwiz. The stay of 4 years need not be continuous. As per previous rules (new rules not known yet), one should have been living in Australia for four years immediately before applying for citizenship + not absent from Australia for more than one year in total + not absent for more than 90 days in the last one year.

@kam4b:
Q1: We don't know yet how long before you can become eligible for citizenship. There are some proposed changes for citizenship eligibility. As for residing past your "Must Not Arrive After" date- yes, you can continue to live indefinitely even after this date. But should you need to travel out and back into Australia, you'll need a RRV.

Q2: Yes, you will be able to reside beyond May 2021 as a lawful resident, and yes, you will be eligible for citizenship in the future.

·
Registered
427 Posts
We don't know yet how long before you can become eligible for citizenship. There are some proposed changes for citizenship eligibility.
Even if those changes went through (highly unlikely considering it is being opposed by Labour, Greens and NXT), it won't affect people who have been living as PRs right from the start (as they have proposed that people reside for 4 years on a PR before becoming eligible to apply for citizenship). It would only affect those that arrived as students or 457 holders (non PR visa) and then obtained a PR. If the changes went through, their stay on those other visas would not count anymore. The most ridiculous change though is the proposed Level 6 English Language requirement. I just hope NXT don't budge from their current stand.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Even if those changes went through (highly unlikely considering it is being opposed by Labour, Greens and NXT), it won't affect people who have been living as PRs right from the start (as they have proposed that people reside for 4 years on a PR before becoming eligible to apply for citizenship). It would only affect those that arrived as students or 457 holders (non PR visa) and then obtained a PR. If the changes went through, their stay on those other visas would not count anymore. The most ridiculous change though is the proposed Level 6 English Language requirement. I just hope NXT don't budge from their current stand.
Yes, true. What is NXT's stand BTW, and wasn't Pauline suggesting/ debating for an even more (8 years I think) prerequisite to citizenship? What happened to that?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, true. What is NXT's stand BTW, and wasn't Pauline suggesting/ debating for an even more (8 years I think) prerequisite to citizenship? What happened to that?
They've said, "the government’s plan is about fixing the problems that don’t exist." So unless they throw some more lollies their way (horse-trading), they might not budge. I hope they don't budge irrespective.

Citizenship relief in sight for migrants with Nick Xenophon pulling support | SBS Your Language

I think Pauline had proposed a 7-year wait. But, there was nothing about the 7-years in the proposal by the current mob running our Govt. Obviously, all these changes are an attempt to get support from the One Nation voters as LNP has been trailing ALP for many polls now. Not sure how enforcing harder English requirements will prevent a future terrorist with excellent English skills from gaining citizenship. Besides, I'm sure they don't care about citizenship.

Reactions: KeeDa

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
The bill as it stands will not pass in the Senate as Labor, the Greens and NXT oppose it. Given the ongoing dual citizenship debate regarding a number of MPs (including our own deputy PM), it would be pretty embarrassing for the current government to be pushing through changes to citizenship laws when the Australian-ness of its own members is currently in question. Indeed, the government has been pretty quiet on this issue lately particularly given the dual citizenship question is currently being heard by the High Court.

Once the bill fails to pass, the government will have to process all of the backlogged applications dating to April that have been stalled - upwards of 100,000 now at this point - under the existing legislation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts