Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Currently we are in 489 FS visa. I know that 887 is applicable after 2 years. Lets say if we deliver a baby after applying 887 visa but not received, shall the baby gets citizenship?

Please let me know

Thanks,
Ausbugis

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I'm right, any baby born on the Australian soil gets their citizenship by default, no matter what visa the parents are on. In any case you might want to wait for a confirmation from others on the forum in this regard.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
If I'm right, any baby born on the Australian soil gets their citizenship by default, no matter what visa the parents are on. In any case you might want to wait for a confirmation from others on the forum in this regard.
You are not right. Only children born to citizens and permanent residents in Australia become Australian citizens. If you have not been granted permanent residence before your child is born, you will need to add the child to your visa after the birth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi All,

Currently we are in 489 FS visa. I know that 887 is applicable after 2 years. Lets say if we deliver a baby after applying 887 visa but not received, shall the baby gets citizenship?

Please let me know

Thanks,
Ausbugis

The baby will hold the same nationality of its parent.

If it is born on 4/7/15 & parents were not permanent resident on that day, then it will hold its parents nationality.
But if its parents are permanent resident on 3/7/15, it is born in a family of PRs. so it will be a citizen. But as its parents are not citizen they cannot claim anything from social security for the child.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks folks for your inputs. Appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts