Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Citizenship Ceremony Wait Times Brisbane City Council

157K views 802 replies 161 participants last post by  Then5er 
HI All, My citizenship approved on 3rd Nov, But I yet to call for ceremony. What can be the reason? Can anybody suggest me?
There is a delay of 5-7 months for ceremonies in almost all councils, but 10 months look excessive
which is your council ?
Cheers l

Brisbane City council
Put in a gentle reminder in the citizenship helpline
You can also submit a FOI requesting for the data of the number of applicants waiting for ceremony in your council with the dates of approval
Cheers

As end of July, there are more than 9300 people waiting in BCC. In the number shows below, we can see that there are about ~1000 people in their backlog every month, I estimate that at the moment, there are about 12,000 people are waiting for their ceremonies at BCC.

View attachment 100504
This is more interesting data
View attachment 100505

As data above, I think that at the end of December 2021, people who got approved from Feb 2021 will be clear. Hope that BCC will start clearing there backlog on Jan 26 2022.

If you guys got approved after Feb 2021, don't give much hope that you will be invited this year.
Before Covid, I remember that BCC would hold massive ceremonies on daily basis and clear 4,000 5000 applicants in a few days time
I would not be surprised if they do the same again once the covid threat comes down with increased vaccinations
Cheers

Interesting. Hope to be included in the previous date as I go overseas and I'm not sure what happens if you're not in the country. Do you still get called emailed?
I seriously doubt they will risk wasting an invite
Cheers

We are attending the one ceremony next week on Australia Day, but that will be nearly 12 months wait time, as we passed our citizenship tests in early February of 2021. We tried emailing them to expedite our daughters ceremony as she hasn't been eligible to receive HECS for university, but never heard anything back either time. Good luck and I hope you don't have to wait as long as us
It’s a mess and no one is bothered
Cheers

Hi, sorry but just wanna ask if the test is easy to pass? 😬i will take test on feb10.
Read the book twice the day before and it should be easy
Cheers

Hi All, we approved July last year and reading above conversation, looks we are far away from invite...Not sure if we can change council to attend the ceremony. This become nightmare now, one minute job taking year to happen..
Where will you move to?
The entire country has similar Wait times
Looks like This government is not keen to have too many new citizens voting in the coming federal election
A couple of years back even when the situation was not so bad, the press were screaming over their heads
This time not a murmur from anyone
Cheers

A friend of mine got her citizenship interview approved a month after me, and was invited for citizenship ceremony on 26 January 2022. I am still waiting (it’s now almost a year for me). I called home affairs several times but got no clear response. I am so worried, because it doesn’t make sense that she got invited and I am still waiting although I got approve a month earlier with same council area
There is nothing you can do
It’s a mess
They don’t follow any rules or seniority
It’s just arbitrary
Cheers

I was approved in May 2021, no news so far and I've called Home Affairs to get any update without success. I was hoping to be able to do the ceremony within the year but right now it doesn't sound likely. They couldn't answer if they will hold people to the 1 year deadline considering that it is them being late with invites so I'm hoping we won't have the approvals cancelled as a result of this. It's a bit of a mess to be honest.
It’s not a bit of mess..it’s a huge mess
Quite a few ministers will be visiting each constituency
It would be a good idea to request them to clean the mess
Cheers

Can you see your citizenship number in your immi account after it changed to finalised?
Citizenship number is not reflected in the Immiaccount
It will only be on the citizenship certificate you will get after the ceremony
Cheers

Just got my invitation via email for 17 of August. Got my approval in February 2022.
Im traveling overseas exactly one week after my ceremony. I dont think Im going to get my Australian passport in time. Does anyone know if that is going to be an issue or not?
Which country passport are you holding?
Cheers

Thanks for your reply.
I dont have problem traveling with my Iranian passport as a dual citizen. I just want to make sure I can get back to Australia without an Australian passport after my ceremony. I called the home affair but they were unhelpful and could not provide me with any advice.
Your existing PR visa will be cancelled in a couple of days after the ceremony
There is no way you can enter Australia on your Iranian passport
You will have to apply for a priority processing passport and then only travel
Cheers

Hi i have one question to ask when we recive formal invitation letter via post after email?
I recived email but not letter via post yet?
I have to wait for that or call them.
Just carry a printout of the email
Cheers

I have gotten an email invite from Home Affairs for a ceremony on the 17-Sept-2022 for my Citizenship. I have not received a letter in the mail.

Can anyone confirm that the ceremony venue accepts a print-out of the email invite without bringing the letter that comes in mail. This is in case my letter does not show up in the mail.

Much appreciated your response if someone had similar experience where they only got entry to the ceremony using the print-out of the email invite without the letter in the mail.
I showed the ceremony invite email on my phone and I was allowed to attend the ceremony
You don’t even need to print it out
My council was Monash VIC
Cheers

Hi guys!
Has anyone with application date post August in Brisbane, QLD received a test invite?
I applied on 2nd September 22 and haven't heard from the dept. Any ideas when to expect a reply?

Thanks
A
It’s quite surprising
Test invites are being issued in 3-4 months or even earlier in all states except NSW and VIC
Submit a FOI to check if your application has slipped between the cracks
Cheers

Hi, what are the chances of getting asked for a PCC
after test completion- if they haven't asked for it before test date. I've my test this Friday but the co hasn't asked for any additional documents.
I was very certain I'd get asked for a PCC. Any ideas? This is via bne city council.
Thanks!
Why do you feel that you will be asked for a PCC ?
Cheers

Imagine the following, you go on citizenship test, you get approved on the spot, you get invited in another room where you make the pledge and become a citizen.
Hassle and wait free.
Unfortunately we don’t live in an ideal world
Cheers

Hello all, I submitted my citizenship application on 13 Aug 2023 for Brisbane City Council. When can I expect to receive the invitation?
Citizenship test invite times have really reduced drastically
Most applicants are getting the invite within 2 months
Cheers