Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
561 - 580 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Got invited for 18 May and I was approved 24 Jan 2022 so that was pretty quick! Unfortunately though, I will be overseas to visit my parents on that day. Would that push me to the end of the line?
I doubt you’d be pushed to the end of the queue. And it looks like there won’t be much of a queue after the ceremonies this month, anyway.
My guess is you’d be invited to the June ceremony.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's really good wait time's become much shorter.
Waiting for almost one year was really tiring.
Anyways, glad citizenship journey is coming to an end!

Thanks for all the updates and information on this forum.

Good Luck all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I was approved 5 Jan - received ceremony invite for 18 May but unfortunately will be overseas. Can anyone help me suggest whats the process in such cases?

• Do I notify HA or not? any difference in the outcomes?
  • In case I do notify they will ask for a reason, is visiting family after several years an acceptable reason?
  • If the reason is not acceptable what do they do?
  • If they do reschedule would they confirm the date during the same phone call?

Thanks a heap for any info in this regard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi I was approved 5 Jan - received ceremony invite for 18 May but unfortunately will be overseas. Can anyone help me suggest whats the process in such cases?

• In case I do notify they will ask for a reason, is visiting family after several years an acceptable reason?

The invitation letter instructs you to tell the Home Affairs that you cannot attend the ceremony. So yes, I would inform them.

·
Registered
25,762 Posts

1. As a responsibie citizen k you should inform
Your seat will be given to some else in the queue
2. Tell them you are overseas. DHA anyways knows it as they are responsible for immigration desk at airports
3. Irrelevant question
4. Generally the applicants are invited in the next ceremony
Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts

I'm in this exact predicament. I called them yesterday and told them my situation. They said they just need to update my file and that they can't say when i'm going to get the next invite. But as someone said earlier in this forum, there won't be much of a queue anyway after this month's massive ceremony so hopefully we get invited for next month's one. Also, I don't think you need to give a 'valid' reason. Just inform them you wouldn't be able to attend as you'd be overseas.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm in this exact predicament. I called them yesterday and told them my situation. They said they just need to update my file and that they can't say when i'm going to get the next invite. But as someone said earlier in this forum, there won't be much of a queue anyway after this month's massive ceremony so hopefully we get invited for next month's one. Also, I don't think you need to give a 'valid' reason. Just inform them you wouldn't be able to attend as you'd be overseas.
Good thing is May 17 & 18 covers 6 ceremony & clears 2400 backlog from May 2021 all the way upto January 2022 (one even mentioned April 2022, could be due to Spouse approved in Jan 2022)

So I guess there would be 3298 - 2400 = 898 Approved candidate left (Feb ~ April 22), [as on 4th March data] & from June hopefully - it'd be back to normal.
but just be aware there are only 3 dates left after May 17 & 18th Mass Ceremony and July, August, September 2022 - there are no Ceremony planned so far.

• Wednesday, 26 January
  • Wednesday, 6 April
  • Tuesday, 17 May
  • Wednesday, 18 May
  • Thursday, 30 June
  • Tuesday, 18 October
  • Monday, 7 November

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey All, I am also sailing the same boat here!
Invited for 18 May but can't make it because I am overseas, cant make it for 30 June as well.
Interesting thing is that I did call up home affairs before flying out and was told that my file has been updated with the travel plans. I still got the invite while overseas!
I have replied back to the ceremony invite email and would call up the council too......that should be enough yeah?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good thing is May 17 & 18 covers 6 ceremony & clears 2400 backlog from May 2021 all the way upto January 2022 (one even mentioned April 2022, could be due to Spouse approved in Jan 2022)

So I guess there would be 3298 - 2400 = 898 Approved candidate left (Feb ~ April 22), [as on 4th March data] & from June hopefully - it'd be back to normal.
but just be aware there are only 3 dates left after May 17 & 18th Mass Ceremony and July, August, September 2022 - there are no Ceremony planned so far.

• Wednesday, 26 January
  • Wednesday, 6 April
  • Tuesday, 17 May
  • Wednesday, 18 May
  • Thursday, 30 June
  • Tuesday, 18 October
  • Monday, 7 November
I heard from a friend who got approved in Feb also got the invite for 18th. So even better

·
Registered
16 Posts
A question: After attending the citizenship ceremony if someone has to travel to India (e.g. 2 days after the ceremony) due to some urgency for couple of weeks. Would it be possible to travel on Indian Passport? I have heard there is a grace period of 90 days in which Indian Passport can be used after acquiring foreign nationality.
Please suggest. Thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
A question: After attending the citizenship ceremony if someone has to travel to India (e.g. 2 days after the ceremony) due to some urgency for couple of weeks. Would it be possible to travel on Indian Passport? I have heard there is a grace period of 90 days in which Indian Passport can be used after acquiring foreign nationality.
Please suggest. Thanks.
Per EOI website -. A grace period of three months is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on an Indian Passport. Therefore, no penalty will be leviable for travel on an Indian passport within three months of acquisition of a foreign passport.
But please check if you can enter australia on an Indian passport after acquiring Australian citizenship since your PR would be no longer valid.so please call DFA and check before you travel. Might be a good idea to apply passport under urgent request which you could get in 2-3 weeks and then travel.
Australian citizens entering and leaving Australia
Australian citizens should use their Australian passport to enter and leave Australia.
The Australian Border Force has more information on crossing the border.
If you have a passport from another country, you can use that after you leave Australia.
A passport is the best way to show that you are an Australian citizen. You might still be able to enter Australia if you are an Australian citizen without an Australian passport, but it will be more difficult. The airline might also stop you from boarding a plane to Australia.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Per EOI website -. A grace period of three months is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on an Indian Passport. Therefore, no penalty will be leviable for travel on an Indian passport within three months of acquisition of a foreign passport.
But please check if you can enter australia on an Indian passport after acquiring Australian citizenship since your PR would be no longer valid.so please call DFA and check before you travel. Might be a good idea to apply passport under urgent request which you could get in 2-3 weeks and then travel.
Australian citizens entering and leaving Australia
Australian citizens should use their Australian passport to enter and leave Australia.
The Australian Border Force has more information on crossing the border.
If you have a passport from another country, you can use that after you leave Australia.
A passport is the best way to show that you are an Australian citizen. You might still be able to enter Australia if you are an Australian citizen without an Australian passport, but it will be more difficult. The airline might also stop you from boarding a plane to Australia.
Thank you for the detailed information.

561 - 580 of 594 Posts