Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have British citizenship through my father and have my passport, etc... but i know i can't pass it on to my children.

So is it possible to get naturalization? to pass the citizenship on? I'm not sure how to go about it since I'm already a uk citizen.

Do i need to stay in the uk or? (lost as i couldn't find information on it)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
You have not given enough information as to how YOU received your British citizenship to provide info regarding your children.

Where/when YOU born/?

Where/when parents born? Were parents married when YOU were born?

Where/when children born?

Were YOU married to children's mother at time of their birth? If not have you married since?

With more info you might get an answer from this forum

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You have not given enough information as to how YOU received your British citizenship to provide info regarding your children.

Where/when YOU born/?

Where/when parents born? Were parents married when YOU were born?

Where/when children born?

Were YOU married to children's mother at time of their birth? If not have you married since?

With more info you might get an answer from this forum
I was born in New Zealand. .

Father was born in the UK.. (London) hence how i got my uk citizenship... Mother was born in NZ. < and yes my parents were married before i was born

And, no I'm not married to my partner.

Only reason i asked is i might move over to the uk in the future.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
So you sound as though your are British by descent.

Do you already have children or is this just a hypothetical question?

·
Registered
39,127 Posts
As you have found out, once you get your citizenship by descent, it stays with you for life and cannot be changed.
Any children you have in UK will be British otherwise than by descent.
If you live in UK for three years prior to having any children, any children born outside UK can be registered as British by descent. Even if you have children in UK, any subsequent offspring you have outside UK can still be registered as British.
So even with citizenship by descent, you can see you still have quite a wide power to transmit nationality to your children.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As you have found out, once you get your citizenship by descent, it stays with you for life and cannot be changed.
Any children you have in UK will be British otherwise than by descent.
If you live in UK for three years prior to having any children, any children born outside UK can be registered as British by descent. Even if you have children in UK, any subsequent offspring you have outside UK can still be registered as British.
So even with citizenship by descent, you can see you still have quite a wide power to transmit nationality to your children.
Awesome, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.