Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hoping you can help with the below.
We're currently in the process of starting an application for my son to have Aus citizenship by descent (born in 2021), I am Australian and my hubby is English. We are currently living in the UK.
We have all evidence apart from an endorsed passport photo - I wanted to pick your brain on this. I have friends that are teachers/nurses back home in Aus, but is there any easier way to do this rather than sending the passport photo to them, and them posting it back endorsed?

Or - is it easier to apply for citizenship by descent once we move back to Aus (hopefully later this year). In that case - doe he need a visa, or is it okay since he is under 16?

Many thanks for your help,
Lucy

· Registered
1,941 Posts
I am not sure how a teacher / nurse in Australia could act as guarantor if they have never met your son.

For a passport photo at least this is the advice given by the High Commission

What if I cannot find an Australian citizen to be my guarantor?

You do NOT need an Australian citizen as a guarantor. You have two options:
  • a non-Australian who is currently employed in one of these occupation groups; OR
  • a current Australian passport holder.
I presume the same would apply for an application for citizenship, but you could always clarify with the High Commission

Phone: +44 (0) 20 7379 4334

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there

First of all thank you for your reply and help! I should have clarified, we’ve been back to Aus twice since he was born to visit, so they have met my son. Does this change things?

Many thanks
Lucy

· Registered
113 Posts
The person who certifies your photo must be the person who signs the form 1195. That form lists the people who can certify for you, and has this detail:

If you are applying from outside Australia and do
not know an Australian citizen, Questions 2 and 3 can be completed, and the photograph endorsed and signed by a citizen of your country of residence who has known you for at least one year, is currently working in a profession or occupation listed on pages 1–2, and is not related to you by birth, marriage or de facto relationship
Consular officers are also listed, so if you have a Consulate, High Commission or Embassy you can physically attend, they may be able to do it for you too (of course they may refuse to do so as a policy thing)

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! So I just need to find someone who knows Percy for a year, and has a job on the list?

The wording on the 1195 form is this: For children under 6 years of age, Questions 2 and 3 can be completed by an Australian citizen (or citizen of the child’s country of residence if applying from outside Australia) who has known the child for less than 12 months, is currently working in a profession or occupation listed on pages 1–2, and is not related by birth, marriage or de facto relationship.

So it says less than 12 months....is that correct?

An additional question - can we wait till we get to Aus, to then apply for this?

Many Thanks,
Lucy

· Registered
113 Posts
The requirements change if you are applying from within Australia, so while yes you could do that you could not use an identity declaration filled in by an "overseas only" identity referee.

Yes, you can use a referee who has known the child for less than 12 months as long as they meet all the other criteria.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts