Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My husband and I are expecting a baby in April. We are American citizens and the baby will be born in France.

Does anyone know what the citizenship rules are for the baby? Is it possible for it to have dual E.U./USA citizenship? Ultimately we'd like it to be an American citizen, but if it could be both, that would be a bonus.

I'd appreciate input from anyone who's been through this process. Thanks!

PS - I know about the Message association already, but haven't joined because they charge dues.

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
Unless one of you has an EU nationality, your baby will be a US citizen only at birth. France no longer does the jus soli thing (i.e. you're French if you're born in France). For a child born in France with foreigners for parents, the child takes whatever nationality one or both of the parents can transfer. (And US nationality comes automatically, whether or not you register the kid with the consulate.)

I even know of one case where the parents were Argentinian, and apparently the parents are unable to transmit their nationality. The child has to live in Argentina for some period of time before he takes the nationality of his parents. The child literally had no nationality at birth - and to travel back to Argentina with his parents (to show him off to the family), the parents had to apply for a special travel document (not a passport).

But no, your child will not have French nationality simply by virtue of being born in France. One parent would have to be French for that to happen.

You should take the baby to the US consulate in Paris to register his or her birth and to get a passport and social security number for the child. Report Birth Abroad | Embassy of the United States Paris, France

Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.