Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We're moving to Queensland Easter 2010.
I'm applying for a Spouse Visa (subclass 309/100).

How long after I get my Visa can I apply for Citizenship?

We have 3 girls, have been waiting for them to grow a bit more to apply to adopt a little guy, then decided to move to Oz and we're only applying after we move and are settled, but some countries (we're thinking about intercountry adoption) require both parents to be Aussie, which I'm not, althought hubby does meet the requirement.

If someone knows anything about timescales for citizenship, I'd be thankful, just wanted to have an idea of the timescales we're looking at.
I'm a bit worried we'll age out before we can apply to become adoptive parents..:(

Thoughts on citizenship timings anyone???:D

Thanks,
Busyte

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Busyte:

You would need to wait 4 yrs net in Australia as a PR and being a spouse does not speed that up. Only if there is a hardship involved in waiting do they consider speeding it up.

Your children however can apply based on your husbands citizenship and they do not have a 4 yr wait.

Please see the website for the details:
Australian Citizenship – Becoming an Australian Citizen

Hi,

We're moving to Queensland Easter 2010.
I'm applying for a Spouse Visa (subclass 309/100).

How long after I get my Visa can I apply for Citizenship?

We have 3 girls, have been waiting for them to grow a bit more to apply to adopt a little guy, then decided to move to Oz and we're only applying after we move and are settled, but some countries (we're thinking about intercountry adoption) require both parents to be Aussie, which I'm not, althought hubby does meet the requirement.

If someone knows anything about timescales for citizenship, I'd be thankful, just wanted to have an idea of the timescales we're looking at.
I'm a bit worried we'll age out before we can apply to become adoptive parents..:(

Thoughts on citizenship timings anyone???:D

Thanks,
Busyte

1 - 2 of 2 Posts