Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
This is a bit of a random question but I'm hoping someone can help...
If someone has been living in the UK on ILR since 1973 and now wants to apply for citizenship what are the requirements? I presume they would take the life in UK exam. What else?
The person in question is 70 years old :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't think they would need to do life in UK test as they already have Indefinite Leave. the test is for those applying for Leave to remain. They could in my knowledge naturalize and then apply for citizenship.

A moderator can confirm this

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
The Life in the UK test is a requirement for ILR and citizenship. So, the fact that he has ILR doesn't preclude him from taking the test but his age does. If you are over 65 you don't have to take the Life in the UK test.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Yes and you don't have to do the english test either if you are over 65.

The difficult bit could come with proving they did not leave the UK for a period of 2 years or more.

If they have all their passports then it will be easy..

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Over 65s are exempt from the Life in the UK test or English requirement.
Residential requirement, of having lived in UK for 5 years and on ILR for a year (if not married to British citizen).
Absence no more than 450 days in 5 years and 90 days in the last 12 months (or 270 days in 3 years and 90 days in the last 12 months for someone married to a Briton).
Suitability - no unspent criminal conviction or civil judgment.
And lots of money in fees!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Really helpful.

It seems pretty straightforward. I guess it depends if she thinks it's worth paying all the fees! I told her she should have done it years ago when it was free :)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Really helpful.

It seems pretty straightforward. I guess it depends if she thinks it's worth paying all the fees! I told her she should have done it years ago when it was free :)
My ex husband has just done his after 14 years. He had FLR back in 1980 but it lapsed. The decision look around 5 months and he is now awaiting his ceremony..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Hertsfem,

Thanks for the info. It would be for my mum and I don't think she really sees the need to do it except she wanted to vote! That's the only thing she finds frustrating :) Otherwise being on ILR and having a European passport she's never had any other reason to go for citizenship. I've told her the cost and that she can have dual citizenship for UK and Finland... I guess she'll decide based on the cost of it and whether she wants to go through a ceremony ;)

Cheers,
KHP

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Another fly in the ointment for those with EEA passport is possible UK's exit from EU, now that we have a Conservative government with a pledge of a 2017 referendum. It won't affect your mother as she already has ILR, but the immigration status of other Europeans may become an issue. Holding a British passport will insulate from that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.