Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, hope this is in the right forum

We moved to Spain in April and, by and large, we are enjoying it very much. We've had family come over to stay although we are approaching the time of year when usually we would be with the parents or extended family etc. Obviously this won't happen this year so we thought we would go away for a few days over the (British) Christmas period. I realise that Christmas is different over here and beginning of January is more of a festive period but that's another story.

What we'd therefore like to do is to go away somewhere for a few days, maybe to a hotel where they do a Christmas dinner on Christmas day. We're open minded as to where we go, whether it is to Benidorm or the Costa del Sol, or anywhere in between. Or maybe to a City where a good hotel might be quite cheap. We have our car which is great for touring so really nowhere is out of the question, although we wouldn't want to go too far north for just a few days as we're based in the South.

I know somewhere like Benidorm might be full of, ahem, seniors so we're not looking for that kind of company, nor are we 18 but don't really mind if it's full of Brits because we're only going to go there to enjoy ourselves and have a bit of good old fashioned Christmas cheer. So whether it's rip roaring fun or something more subtle we're open to suggestion.

I know lots of you have been here far longer than us so maybe have the odd trick up your sleeves for Christmas so please let me know if you have any ideas.

As regards cost, well obviously not too expensive. Travel isn't an issue so it's just the staying costs we need to think about.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
We are going to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, 45 minute flight, posh hotel. We were there last year and really enjoyed it. We can also stock up on stuff we cannot source here, socks, Marmite, Colemans Mustard etc.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
There are a number of good hotels in Nerja that do the kind of deal you are looking for and I haven't heard any bad reports about any of them. And if you haven't been down this way it would be an excellent trip for a visit. Many things to do at very good prices. I'm beginning to sound like the Nerja Tourist Board which I am not!!!! Also, the Malaga Christmas lights are definitely worth a visit.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You could stay in Granada, enjoy lots of dinks and free tapas at in the cosy bars at night, visit the Alhambra and go up the Sierra Nevada slopes (whether you ski or not!) for a bit of real Xmas snow!

Still close enough for a visit to Malaga's Xmas lights.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anything involving one of the historical Paradors or if near Portugal Pousadas is likely to be fab. They can be surprisingly inexpensive and because Christmas is not a big thing no inflated prices - at least that was what we found at Sagres a couple of years ago. Enjoy whatever you do. Apparently the Parador (modern I think) at Antequera does a big Xmas thing. Probably aimed at northern europeans, probably with prices to match::tree::santa:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts