Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
I stream the Christchurch City Council facebook page as well as a few others: CBS Canterbury Arena, The Ministry of Awesome, Rebuild Christchurch, Pallet Pavilion are a few on facebook. You should be able to jump to some other pages from those... I don't have little ones, but I do have a preteen, and have bookmarked pages such as: kidzgo; eventfinder; and bethere.co.nz . Hope that helps give you a start! Best of luck and welcome to Chch!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, been here about three weeks now and looking for fellow expats... my new colleagues at work are great (when I can understand the mumbling kiwi accent) but want to find 'easy' events to participate in, such as walks in the city and suburbs (or The Port Hills, which are stunning but I've only been up there once). Not driving (cycling soon, hopefully) means I'm limited to the nearby western suburbs (Addington/Spreydon, Riccarton, Ilam) and the CBD. I could go to Hagley Park or the Botanical Gardens every weekend with the lovely sunshine (though it's still chilly).

So far having lots of delicious flat whites (I knew the coffee would be good!) and just exploring the city.

How can we organise an event and chat about adjusting to life here, working/living with the kiwis and family-friendly activities?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well, been here about three weeks now and looking for fellow expats... my new colleagues at work are great (when I can understand the mumbling kiwi accent) but want to find 'easy' events to participate in, such as walks in the city and suburbs (or The Port Hills, which are stunning but I've only been up there once). Not driving (cycling soon, hopefully) means I'm limited to the nearby western suburbs (Addington/Spreydon, Riccarton, Ilam) and the CBD. I could go to Hagley Park or the Botanical Gardens every weekend with the lovely sunshine (though it's still chilly).

So far having lots of delicious flat whites (I knew the coffee would be good!) and just exploring the city.

How can we organise an event and chat about adjusting to life here, working/living with the kiwis and family-friendly activities?
Hi Maple!

Welcome to Christchurch! Yes, the kiwi mumble is something you'll adjust to (for most, not all). Great people for sure, tho! Hard to nail down where to find out about specific events all over... the christchurch city council website and facebook page are a good place to start. I use this website a lot to see what is going on: Christchurch Events - Events in Christchurch ... you will also likely get a booklet delivered to your home in the near future that is sent out by the city council--it is filled with upcoming events that have been organized by the city and will have detailed descriptions, dates, etc. It's a *great* resource and has events listed for all year round! If you're interested in meeting specifically with other ex-pats, I suggest joining the organization InterNations. They just literally started up a Chch chapter, up until about a month ago the closest chapter we had was in Wellington; now there is a Chch chapter, and I know that they had their first ex-pat social meeting at a local pub last week or the week before. It is truly a budding chapter, so I'm guessing that they would welcome your interest and involvement. Hope that's a start for you!

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Kim

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi, newish to the forum. I am relocating to Christchurch in 3 weeks.:happy:
I am moving with my partner and daughter (8)

Looking forward to the move but very stressed at the moment. Moved out my house and now in temp accommodation until we leave Glasgow.

In the process of arranging shipping of my tools, belongings and possibly my car. (Mitsubishi Evo VIII)

Still in the process of looking at temp let or hotels etc as we currently have no where to stay.

If anyone can help with accommodation, shipping and some helpful advice it would be great.

Sorry if this is the wrong section. I will take a slap on the wrist when I arrive in 3 weeks lol.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi, newish to the forum. I am relocating to Christchurch in 3 weeks.:happy:
I am moving with my partner and daughter (8)

Looking forward to the move but very stressed at the moment. Moved out my house and now in temp accommodation until we leave Glasgow.

In the process of arranging shipping of my tools, belongings and possibly my car. (Mitsubishi Evo VIII)

Still in the process of looking at temp let or hotels etc as we currently have no where to stay.

If anyone can help with accommodation, shipping and some helpful advice it would be great.

Sorry if this is the wrong section. I will take a slap on the wrist when I arrive in 3 weeks lol.

Pretty important that you get set now and start looking for accommodations... I assume you already have a job waiting here. There is a housing shortage going on, and rents are volatile, depending on what you're looking for (size and price wise). My family and I moved a few months back from the house we owned (sold it), into a rental. Our success at finding a place we liked, hinged on standing apart from the dozens of other people who were looking at the same places. I composed a rental CV of sorts that gave background info on the whole family, information on our past accommodations history, info on our hobbies, what we do and would like to do in Chch, etc. non-smokers, boating enthusiasts, kids, etc, etc and included a casual family pic. Landlords here will want references, personal ones, so if you can confirm with your kiwi connections that they'd be willing to be your reference, I would put their contact info on the CV as well, and any friends you have where you are now who wouldn't mind being an email reference (and include their email). It sounds silly, but the rental market is a really hungry bear right now. You'll want to start looking on the TradeMe.co.nz site in the rental section, and also check out the local real estate agencies (they usually do double duty as property managers): Harcourts, and Ray White are the 2 that spring to mind, but you can google Christchurch property managers to see what comes up. Make contact via email and attach the resume/CV, by open, friendly, charming... I'm not making this up, market yourself as someone they would be lucky to have as a tenant! :) Good luck, and welcome when you get here!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

The biggest problem is that we are not in New Zealand yet.

I have a job lined up and the company has have me a few contacts to help us into a property. We need something temp for us arriving also but are really struggling.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

The biggest problem is that we are not in New Zealand yet.

I have a job lined up and the company has have me a few contacts to help us into a property. We need something temp for us arriving also but are really struggling.

I'm sure you are, the rental market really is nuts right now. I don't really know of any suggestions on securing temporary accommodations... some people/places are charging $500pw because they're gouging the market with short term renters using supplemental accommodation funds from insurance companies while their houses are repaired... you are going to find *that* market might be super tuff to get into. Best of luck, wish I had more advice than what I gave! You could still try from Scotland... certainly couldn't hurt... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have said in a previous thread, me and my boyfriend moved to christchurch in november, im from n.ireland, my partner is from england and we both lived in scotland for 7 years

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

Hello everyone.

I arrived in Christchurch 6 weeks ago. I had a job lined up already and I am really enjoying it out here.
my wife and son are still in the UK and are waiting to come out soon...

Not met anyone out here yet, only the people in the house where i rent a room...(lovely people)
I am working as a Joiner in Lincoln and living in Rolleston. Quite remote places but ok for work.
anyone else living out this way? Would love to meet up for a coffee one day.

I am also looking to rent a house. Maybe out this way or down towards Halswell. Seems lovely there.

I would like to say that so far my experiences out here have been very nice. I have been made to feel welcome where ever I have gone and met a few really nice kiwis.

Adam

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hello everyone.

I arrived in Christchurch 6 weeks ago. I had a job lined up already and I am really enjoying it out here.
my wife and son are still in the UK and are waiting to come out soon...

Not met anyone out here yet, only the people in the house where i rent a room...(lovely people)
I am working as a Joiner in Lincoln and living in Rolleston. Quite remote places but ok for work.
anyone else living out this way? Would love to meet up for a coffee one day.

I am also looking to rent a house. Maybe out this way or down towards Halswell. Seems lovely there.

I would like to say that so far my experiences out here have been very nice. I have been made to feel welcome where ever I have gone and met a few really nice kiwis.

Adam
Hi Adam, and welcome to Canterbury!

Yes, you are a ways away from the "in town" action, but from what I read in The Press, Rolleston and Lincoln are both "up and coming." I'm not sure what sort of stuff you're in to, but you might consider googling sports leagues in your area to get your social network rolling. In this part of NZ, barring a history of school attendance here (i.e., 'what school did you go to?' being the opening liner upon first meetings...) the second most popular way to make friends is joining a sports club/league.

As far as renting, here in Chch there is a *huge* issue with a housing shortage, which apparently has spread to the surrounding suburbs. If you find that you're having trouble getting chosen as a tenant, I would suggest composing a rental CV of sorts that gives some historical information on you and your family, your reasons for coming to NZ (make them complimentary to NZ ;), hobbies, contact information, etc. When my husband and I sold our home several months ago, we decided to rent versus move because of how hot and bubbly the real estate market is right now. I did a rental CV based on what I read in the paper about landlords having trouble picking tenants from their dozens of applicants... we looked at two places and gave each person showing them our rental CV and both rentals were offered to us the same night. I posted this suggestion on the InterNations group I belong to and had another member try out the suggestion after looking unsuccessfully for many weeks. Less than a week later she posted back, 'success!' and had just been to sign her tenancy contract.

Again, welcome, and best of luck to settling in!

Cheers,

Kim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Adam, and welcome to Canterbury!

Yes, you are a ways away from the "in town" action, but from what I read in The Press, Rolleston and Lincoln are both "up and coming." I'm not sure what sort of stuff you're in to, but you might consider googling sports leagues in your area to get your social network rolling. In this part of NZ, barring a history of school attendance here (i.e., 'what school did you go to?' being the opening liner upon first meetings...) the second most popular way to make friends is joining a sports club/league.

As far as renting, here in Chch there is a *huge* issue with a housing shortage, which apparently has spread to the surrounding suburbs. If you find that you're having trouble getting chosen as a tenant, I would suggest composing a rental CV of sorts that gives some historical information on you and your family, your reasons for coming to NZ (make them complimentary to NZ ;), hobbies, contact information, etc. When my husband and I sold our home several months ago, we decided to rent versus move because of how hot and bubbly the real estate market is right now. I did a rental CV based on what I read in the paper about landlords having trouble picking tenants from their dozens of applicants... we looked at two places and gave each person showing them our rental CV and both rentals were offered to us the same night. I posted this suggestion on the InterNations group I belong to and had another member try out the suggestion after looking unsuccessfully for many weeks. Less than a week later she posted back, 'success!' and had just been to sign her tenancy contract.

Again, welcome, and best of luck to settling in!

Cheers,

Kim

Thank you...

And thank you for the rental cv idea.. never thought of that.

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
looking to meet some female friends!

Hi there,

Just noticed that this thread is 2 years old! But I'm thinking there must be some females in their 30s like me, that has moved to Christchurch with their partners and missing their friends back home.

I've been here now for 7 months, but because I work on my own I miss female company. Its ok for the bf that has lots of builder friends and more of a social life.

So the question is..... Is there anybody out there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I would like to move to New Zealand. I live in Tunisia. Would you please tell me about the steps that i should follow in order to get a visa to work and live in New Zealand. Thank you a lot if you could answer my querry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi my names claire, me n my partner are both british to, weve been here for 4.5yrs but only in chch just over 1.6yrs, we to have found it quite difficult to meet people. Were both in our early 30s, and like urselves miss our friends from home. If u would be keen to meet up let me know. Claire

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

Just noticed that this thread is 2 years old! But I'm thinking there must be some females in their 30s like me, that has moved to Christchurch with their partners and missing their friends back home.

I've been here now for 7 months, but because I work on my own I miss female company. Its ok for the bf that has lots of builder friends and more of a social life.

hi my names claire, me n my partner are both british to, weve been here for 4.5yrs but only in chch just over 1.6yrs, we to have found it quite difficult to meet people. Were both in our early 30s, and like urselves miss our friends from home. If u would be keen to meet up let me know.

·
Super Moderator
4,891 Posts
Hello. I would like to move to New Zealand. I live in Tunisia. Would you please tell me about the steps that i should follow in order to get a visa to work and live in New Zealand. Thank you a lot if you could answer my querry.
www.immigration.govt.nz

Everything you need is here on the official immigration site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

Hey,

I've been living in Christchurch for nearly 6 months - moved over from Ireland with my hubby and he's working away meeting people but I'm still looking for working and finding it hard to meet new people.

If you're still looking to meet some female friends give me a shout!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am coming to Christchurch in august 2014. So i need help from you that its a difficult to find out a home and job. Because i have a study visa level 7. One question is if my wife come with me then she can doing full time job or not?

61 - 80 of 89 Posts