Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey im up for that :), as i have said in a previous thread, me and my boyfriend moved to christchurch in november, im from n.ireland, my partner is from england and we both lived in scotland for 7 years

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm not there yet, though my husband arrived there last week. I'm hoping to get there in 3 weeks or so. We're both from the north of England but have been living and working abroad for the last four years. He is living in Merivale and hopefully we'll stay in that area.

Rachel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm not there yet, though my husband arrived there last week. I'm hoping to get there in 3 weeks or so. We're both from the north of England but have been living and working abroad for the last four years. He is living in Merivale and hopefully we'll stay in that area.

Rachel
Hi Rachel, coincidence- we live in Merivale too, and my partner is also from the north east of England. Merivale is a really nice area, you will love it, keep in touch?

jojo28

·
Registered
6 Posts
It can be really difficult to make new friends in a new city - so how about having a virtual cup of coffee and maybe arranging a social do?
It can also be difficult being from Christchurch and having lived in the UK for several years coming back and meeting friends again. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi There
What a great idea! I have been living here in Christchurch since August and between full time job and 2 kids have found it difficult to meet people. I would very much like to catch up for coffee or beer.

I´m from Denmark and my husband is kiwi.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everyone

My hubby and I are moving to NZ in a few months but we are going to Christchurch in the middle of August to determine if it is still the right place for us and hopefully arrange somewhere to live! Would anyone be up for meeting for a coffee or beer (Merivale has just moved up our list of possible areas after the comment about nice pubs!)? It would be really good to meet some people who are living in or around the city, particularly newly arrived.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all,

I'm a 20yo Kiwi guy who has recently moved to ChristChurch from Napier, I have always been a pretty sociable guy but as I knew nobody down here I have struggled to meet new friends who are a similar age.

I don't know what kind of reply to expect on this site but I would love to meet new people, guys and girls, preferably around the low to mid 20's. I'm a very sporty kinda guy, if anybody would like to go out for a hit of tennis, golf, squash or do whatever! I am open to ideas, just get in touch :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi There
What a great idea! I have been living here in Christchurch since August and between full time job and 2 kids have found it difficult to meet people. I would very much like to catch up for coffee or beer.

I´m from Denmark and my husband is kiwi.
Hi, if you're still interested in meeting some new people, email me at [email address deleted]. I'm from the US, my fiance is from England and we live in Merivale. As friends are very few and far between here, we're keen to make some new ones. We're hoping to have a family of our own soon. :)

-Jamie

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry, I've had to delete your email address. You cam send a private message if you want to send it to another member.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moving to ChCh soon!

Making the leap to a new country. Would like to have a friend from there to ask questions about things like "how much are blow dryers?" and other ordinary every day things.
Can you live in ChCh and get away with not having a car? Will just using the bus and having a bike work? What about employment outlook? I heard ChCh is in need of people and tourism. Also can you go with just a US passport and get a working visa when you get there? I know it'll take a while for the paperwork and things to get approved. Anyone gone through the process of getting a work visa for a job on the "non-needed skills" list?

Yeah that's just some random things running through my mind. If anyone would like to help me out, I'd be absolutely grateful^_^ Hope you're having a wonderful day!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Making the leap to a new country. Would like to have a friend from there to ask questions about things like "how much are blow dryers?" and other ordinary every day things.
Can you live in ChCh and get away with not having a car? Will just using the bus and having a bike work? What about employment outlo I heard ChCh is in need of people and tourism. Also can you go with just a US passport and get a working visa when you get there? I know it'll take a while for the paperwork and things to get approved. Anyone gone through the process of getting a work visa for a job on the "non-needed skills" list?

Yeah that's just some random things running through my mind. If anyone would like to help me out, I'd be absolutely grateful^_^ Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Hi there, hope all your plans are going well? Yes, I'm sure that getting around Christchurch is very possible with public transport and a bike. There are many cyclists on the road. I am not one myself! as I drive. And if you have a good hairdryer, bring it with you and change the plug!! :)

All the best. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are the "Expat Rules" the same in New Zealand as in Australia, Canada or America? I was thinking about becoming an ex-pat in 2014 when i turn 65 and officially retire. I was told that i need several hundred thousand dollars as a type of deposit or bond. Obviously i can't afford such a big amount.

Is this true for New Zealand, otherwise i will just have to get a nine month visa and make do with that?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are the "Expat Rules" the same in New Zealand as in Australia, Canada or America? I was thinking about becoming an ex-pat in 2014 when i turn 65 and officially retire. I was told that i need several hundred thousand dollars as a type of deposit or bond. Obviously i can't afford such a big amount.

Is this true for New Zealand, otherwise i will just have to get a nine month visa and make do with that?
Hi Jeff
Probably the best place to look is Temporary Retirement Category
I don't know how long the visa is for though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply but the costs as i feared are too expensive. I am going to visit your country in less than two years time when i retire but it will have to be on a guest visa. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
6 Months in Chch

Hello,
My partner and I moved to CHCH about 6 months ago and are both really enjoying it. Have managed to secure good jobs so that has made it a lot easier. The only downside is we are struggling with the social life. We have joined clubs etc but hasn't really improved the social side too much. Both in our late 20s so any ideas or anyone wanting to meet up please get in touch. Like to do things as a couple but also separately :eek:

Katie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Garkins said:
Hello,
My partner and I moved to CHCH about 6 months ago and are both really enjoying it. Have managed to secure good jobs so that has made it a lot easier. The only downside is we are struggling with the social life. We have joined clubs etc but hasn't really improved the social side too much. Both in our late 20s so any ideas or anyone wanting to meet up please get in touch. Like to do things as a couple but also separately :eek:

Katie
Hello Katie,

My partner & I moved out to CHCH just over a year ago and we are both in our mid to late 20's also. My partner and I are both doing well work wise, but like you have struggled on the social front! It would be great to meet up!

We have only just joined this group, do you know how to send a pm? Then we can arrange to meet up?

All the best :)

Tom

1 - 20 of 89 Posts